Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:58:31 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shipping Transaxles by UPS or Fedex
Comments: To: Chris Weddle <info@2WEDDLE.COM>

One way I have shipped heavy stuff was to use polyurethane foam. I shipped a heavy bulky scale once, by putting a couple of 2 X 4's in the bottom of the box as solid supports. Then I went to a place that uses polyurethane foams and purchased some of the "A" and "B" mix. Cost me about $3.00 as I recall. Then I mixed some together and put it in a light weight plastic bag, dry cleaner plastic wrap for clothing works good. I closed the bag but didn't seal the bag. I let the edge with the bag opening hang over the edge of the box. I put the bag down in the bottom of the box, spread over the 2X4's, before the foam began to expand. Then I positioned the scale down on the 2X4'x with the bag of foam sandwiched in between.

As the Foam began to expand, I exerted downward pressure on the scale to make sure it stayed in place. As the foam expanded it pushed itself out in the bag, expanding to fill all the little spaces and form itself to the shape of the scale.

Voila!! A custom form fitted foam packing case, shaped to the scale and the box and fitting tightly. No shifting allowed!!!

For the cover over the scale, I repeated the process, only I closed the box lid. That way, the expansion pushed the foam right against the lid of the box for a tight fit. If on the lid you don't get an exact fit, any voids can be filled with other materials or if it;s over filled, just cut away the excess until the box lid will close.

One drawback. Polyurethanes use water to generate the expansion. There will be moisture present. The moisture will dampen the box. If you want absolute dryness, then after forming dismantle the thing, and set out to dry for a day or so, then repack the box with the cast foam packing forms.

I found this to be a great way to go, and you can ship small parts this way using foam in a can from the hardware store. Just don't forget to wrap the part in a plastic bag or film wrap to keep it dry.------ and to be able to get it out of the foam packing. The foam will really stick hard to the surface otherwise.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver