Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0800
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      POOR SEVICE: VW TERRACE, BC

fyi...

heyfitz wrote: > > FYI > > I would not reccomend the service at columbia autohaus in Terrace BC > Canada. Those of you heading north to Alaska be warned,If trhis is > the kind of service a local recieved, travelers beware!! > > The Manager > Columbia Auto Haus > > Sir, > > I am writing to express concerns I have over the recent service I > received at your dealership. I am a long time VW owner having owned 7 > VW cars, a 56 beetle, 66 microbus, 3 70s Westphalia's, a vr6 > corrado, > 1981 Westphalia. I added my eighth VW when I purchased a 1986-syncro > van with only 39000km from Columbia Auto Haus last October. I have > dealt with VW dealerships and non-official VW repair facilities in 5 > countries. The service I received at your dealership is the least > professional I have encountered to date. > > I dropped my syncro off to have the starter replaced, two days later > I called to find out how the progress was. I was told that the > aftermarket starter you had ordered did not fit properly and a OEM > one had to be ordered. I was not asked if an aftermarket starter was > what I wanted in the first place. As a long-term VW owner I have > found that Bosch is the only way to go and I would not have asked for > an inferior starter. Then when the OEM starter arrived I was told > there was a delay because a bracket needed for the starter was not > sent. I became concerned as I had replaced starters in my 75 and 81 > Westphalia's myself and did not remember any bracket. I consulted > my > Bentley Factory service manual for my syncro and indeed there is no > bracket for the starter in the photos or parts list. > > I was then told that it was actually the diff lock solenoid that was > broken. I was surprised at this as it had been functioning without > fault on the occasions when I needed it. I consulted the Bentley VW > Service manual and noted that the diff lock solenoid had to be > removed when servicing the starter for access. I wondered if the > mechanic had broken it during removal. I called you twice again and > was given 2 different stories finally on the 3rd call I was told that > it would be replaced as a preventative action because it could give > me trouble down the road. > > I was told a couple of days later I could pick the van up. I picked > it up just before closing on Saturday, on pulling out of the parking > lot I noticed that the bright green light indicating the diff lock > was on. I noticed the diff engaged when I tried to turn. It would not > disengage at all. I went back into your dealership and complained. I > was told I would have to come back on Tuesday when the mechanic was > in. > > I wondered at that point what kind of quality control your dealership > does when my vehicle was returned to me in less roadworthy condition > than when I dropped it off. Had the mechanic done a test drive he > would have noticed the bright green light and distinctive handling of > an engaged diff lock. > > When I returned my syncro to you on Tuesday I was told it had been > repaired. I did a test in the snow on a gravel road and now instead > of being permanently engaged , the diff lock did not work at all. > > Twice my vehicle was returned to me in less than functional > condition. Does your dealership not do road tests? > > I returned my syncro once again and the problem was finally fixed but > I was told that it hadn't been hooked up properly originally and > the > hoses at the dash were wrong. I was surprised, as the diff lock had > always engaged when I needed it before. I was mailed an invoice for > $41.09 for this "correction". > > I have included payment for this invoice. Please be advised that this > is the last service I will have done at your dealership. Your service > does not meet the standards I have experienced at VW dealers in > Australia, Germany the US and England. It does not meet the legendary > reputation for service excellence that VW has worldwide. Your > dealership left me without the full use of my vehicle for 2 weeks, > along time for a starter motor replacement. > > I have liked the new beetles since they came out and was considering > a TDI version until I heard in a VW club newsletter that a 180 hp > turbo S version was coming out. > If your dealership is an indication of the service I can expect form > VW Canada > The new car I buy next summer will be a Subaru WRX. My of the 11 > vehicles I have owned the only non VWs were two 1982 928 Porsches and > a 77 MB. > I will be looking at non-German cars this summer. > > Zac Brown > Safety Engineer > Kitimat BC. >