Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:11:43 -0700
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Good Bus Depot Experiences + Arm Rest Repair

This is my experience too. Only one time have I been disappointed by a product from Bus Depot. Packed poorly, a turn signal stalk arrived with a broken plastic piece so it could not be used. I pouted and wouldn't do business with them for awhile. They tried to do everything in their power to make it right but I wasn't done pouting yet. Returned to doing business with them and have had very good service and get what I at VERY reasonable prices and always well within the shipping time limits. I got that same part later just fine. Have just received upper arm bushings and got both for the price of one locally, including the shipping. By the way, that question about arm rests...I've attached my response to the original question just for drill. I responded to the person directly instead of posting here. It's at the bottom here. This information came to me originally from Alan I believe.

"i always get my parts, pleasure to work with, if you call the NON-1-800 # they know what they are talking about 99% of the time."

Armrest Removal: You will need a small hammer, a punch with a flat end about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter and probably 4 to 6 inches long, patience, and about an hour or so. Using the drivers seat, outside (near door) rest, look down from the tolp of the armrest where it joins the seat-side. Stick your finger (s) down into the joint between the seat-side and rest and pull toward the door, or squeeze the material toward the door. That should reveal the metal pivot point that the arm rest swings on. It will also give you a better look at the culprit of the looseness, the metal tab which is fastened to the seat-side by two screws (which come loose after relpeated use). There is a metal roll-pin about 3/4 to 1 inch long which goes through the metal armrest female part, and through the metal tabl on the seat-side. That pin has a flared or flanged end, and a taplered end. You need to drive that roll pin out, using the punch and hammer against the tapered end of the pin. Since the pin was likely installed downward, with the flared end up so it would not fall out by gravity, you will have to drive it out from the bottom. I used a small flashlight to determine their orientation to determine how to remove them. Once the pins are driven out you will have to tug firmly on the armrest to get it off. You can then get to the 2 screws holding the metal tab onto the seat-side. I took mine off and put locktite on them before reinstalling and tightening them. Although after you get the hang of this exercise it is easy to do, I didn't want to struggle with it again soon. Putting the pin back into the hole in that small space and tapping it back into place takes patience.