Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:10:59 -0800
From:         David Jaffe <orhiker1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Castrol Synthetic Oil
Comments: To: CMathis227@AOL.COM

Any of the top-brand synthetics greatly reduce engine wear, partly because the molecules are smaller than those in regular motor oils.

But this causes an issue with medium to high-mileage engines - any oil leaking/use is made worse because the synthetic can get past the rings and seals more easily. Many folks have found that engines with medium wear which use too much synthetic do very well with the synthetic blends (part synthetic & part dinosaur oil). The blends still offer improved engine wear & improved mpg.

If your engine is a heavy consumer of regular oil though, you should probably stay with standard oils until your next rebuild. Also, don't use sythetics on brand-new and rebuilt engines for the first 2000 miles, to allow the rings and valves to seat properly (i.e. not during the break-in period).

As a related aside, you can go to a synthetic transmission oil at any time. The difference in how shifting feels day-to-day in warm and esp. in cold weather is so impressive that the increased tranny life it offers (and thus saved $$) can be looked at as mere a bonus.

David