Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:18:59 -0800
From:         "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: After 3000 mi trip: 84h2o overheating,

Got to jump in on this overheating thread.... Go put in a new radiator! For 6 years after I purchased my now dead (wrecked) '85 I fought overheating problems. EVERY "expert" I talked to insisted I needed the heads replaced, "they are famous for bad head gaskets and leaking exhaust into the coolant" was the usual line. From the outset the symptoms were consistent with the cooling system just not having the capacity to dissipate the heat being generated by the engine under heavy load conditions or when idling for long periods. I nursed this problem over many mountain passes and up into high mountain areas that I frequently go. I found that under some conditions, running both heaters wide open and with the heater fans going full tilt (and frying the front heater switch one time) that added just enough cooling capacity to make it, but I still ran many miles with the temp gauge nearly pegged and the red light going off and on. Diagnosis was confused by the fact that I overheated often enough that I usually had a bubble in the system from lost coolant. Eventually, after the only mechanic that bothered to check to see if there was exhaust gas in the coolant (there wasn't) and some other work on the plumbing, the system was so tight that the next time I overheated, I blew a freeze plug and cracked the block. Since the engine had 180,000 + on it, I elected to have a full rebuild, VERY expensive when you can't do the work yourself. After the new engine was in guess what! The damn thing immediately overheated!!! A new radiator was installed, and for the next 6550 miles, again on long trips over mountain passes and up into the mountains, I only had cooling problems once when I got stuck in traffic in Victorville CA @107 degrees! If I had followed my gut feel (and analysis of the problem) I would have told the 'experts' to forget the damn heads and put in a new radiator whether they thought it was needed or not. I would have saved myself a lot of anxiety and misery, and in the end a lot of dollars.