Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:21:46 -0800
From:         Mark Sheflo <skjeflo@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: '80 Westfalia-- best way to drive over passes
Comments: To: "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

While I can agree with Bulley on most of his comments, as I tend to drive our '82 in much the same way, I can't, in good conscience, let this one pass.

G. Matthew Bulley wrote: | My experience biking bears this out as well. Most riders have a "sweet | spot" between 60 and 72 pedal strokes per minute (30-36 rpm at the | crank). As long as you aren't racing (going for speed) you can climb | mountains all day long, and never tire more than on the flats, if you | change gears appropriately to keep pedaling in your sweet spot.

Cycling at 30-36 rpm going up a hill will do two things for you. One will be to leave you well rested for the ride back down. The other would be one of two things. Either you will punish your knees and circulatory system by trying to power up the hill at that rpm or you will have plenty of time to enjoy the views. Spinning at 60-100 rpm seems to be the best compromise between being light on the pedals (i.e. easy on the joints) and power to get you up the hill at a decent pace. Think of it much as you have described the use of the air-cooled motor, a free spinning engine lasts longer in the long haul, with less damage in the short term as well.

Mark '82 Westy 2-'95 Cannondales