Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:20:17 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about KOLBENSCHMIDT cylinder heads
Comments: To: harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

> Just saw this on ebay. > These sellers are auctioning a KOLBENSCHMIDT pair > of 2.1l wasserboxer cylinder heads. > Price is getting up there.. > I suspect they are just AMC heads repackaged by KOLBENSCHMIDT > and sold at a higher price. Does anyone know more about > Kolbenschmidt wasserboxer cylinder heads > and if they are made in Germany or Spain?

You are right, they are rebranded AMC heads. However, there may be one advantage. Whereas the AMC heads sold in the U.S. are actually assembled in the U.S., apparantly using Brazilian parts, I have confirmed that the Kolbenschmidt ones are assembled in Europe, apparantly with European parts. (My sources in Europe are telling me that TRW is the most likely supplier of the components, although Kolbenschmidt isn't saying.)

The Kolbenschmidt heads may not always be available. K&S ran a deal on them to several U.S. importers, hence the availability at the moment; not sure if it's ongoing or not. But for the moment I am shipping the Kolbenschmidt 2.1 liter heads in place of the AMC ones.

I have them for $379 each for the time being, so dont waste your money on the Ebay auction (which is already up to $425 each).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT