Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:02:52 -0800
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@ONEBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: '80 Westfalia-- best way to drive over passes
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

Stan is really Lance Armstrong I knew it, hey now i know what makes hit ride so well in the hills!

snip> 'Im in Texas so I have to watch a movie to see a mountain but I can attest to fighting 20 - 30 MPH head winds for 250 mile runs and I consider these equal to climbing mountains. A <-- Armstong? hehe

-- Joseph Fortino fortino1@onebox.com - email

---- Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM> wrote: > Thoughts on this appreciated. > {Again, in my experience, by reducing my speed, and keeping the van > in > the "sweet spot" of 4,400-4800 rpm.} > -------------------------------- > We are discussing Air Cooled Type IV engines below. 80 Vanagon. > Here are my thoughts: I don't see this RPM range as practical: The > general rule of thumb is 5000 RPM is where the Type IV crankshaft starts > to disentegrate the rest of the engine. Its a full blown explosion > at > 6000 RPM after a short run (Visa Jake Rabe engine tests in ideal > operating conditions). > I have no idea how long you expect your engine to last but I've seldom > needed to turn my engine over 4200 RPM to keep up with traffic, > accommodate persistent head winds and climb hills. > {The engine will never get anywhere as hot in the 10 or 15 mile of > climb > as it would if you hit the hills fully warmed up in the heat of the > day > doing 60 mph BECAUSE THE ENGINE ACCUMULATES HEAT OVER TIME} > I'm in Texas so I have to watch a movie to see a mountain but I can > attest to fighting 20 - 30 MPH head winds for 250 mile runs and I > consider these equal to climbing mountains. A nice two mile grade like > I > had outside of Colorado Springs is just an occasional test of your > engine. > In these long 70 - 75 mph runs , against head winds, I've seen engine > oil temperatures that reached 260 degrees and stayed at that for several > hours (I opted to take a break and let the engine cool down). With > a > little practice I found that I could reduce speed in 4th gear down > to 62 > -65 mph and drop the oil temp back into the 204-220 range. > I just can't envision turning my engine 4400-4800 RPM in third gear > to > maintain 70 MPH or for any other reason for an extended time frame. > {the air cooled engine has head temps that hit 450 500 F at the spark > plug} these are the temperatures that stretch your head bolts, seize > your > rings and break ring lands while they nicely score your cylinder walls. > Engine re builders prefer customers who treat their engines with respect > and run many faithful miles, opposed to those who run like crazy and > get > only 50% of the expected engine life. > {I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR GAUGE SAYS it a toy not an instrument } > Absolutely right I can change senders or gauges and get very different > readings with NEW matched gauges and senders. > I've had my Westy up on Mt Ranier and at 80 degree outside temp I didn't > have any problems running the entire grade at 45 mph in third gear > (also > the speed limit when it wasn't 25 mph). > I've never been a professional trucker but I've found that in each > area > of the country there are famous grades that these truckers like to > tell > about. I've only been the fly on the wall listening to these stories > but > in every case their goal is to protect their equipment while assaulting > these grades, not make speed. > I've never met a grade that was more than a one hour event so I just > slowed down and tried to enjoy the view. > I'm driving a 20 year old vehicle and its remarkable that many of these > Vanagons, Westies, Splits and Bays are still out there on the road. > In > all of the stops at Rest Areas, Picnic Areas, Gas Stations, State Parks, > Visitors Centers I've never been criticized for my lower highway speeds > ............ the general comments I get are "Isn't that neat!", "You > mean > that is 20 years old!", "I'd really like to have one of those!", " > I had > one of those back in the 70's". > My view of Westfalia ownership is 'The trip is the reward, not the > destination'. > -------------------------------- > My driving guidelines that encompass every situation: > Cylinder head temp under 420 degrees. (prefer 350-400) > Oil temp never over 260 degrees. (prefer 204-220) > Vehicle speed never over 85 MPH. (prefer 70-75 mph) > Oil pressure never under 20 psi anytime (prefer 22 psi idle, 55 -60 > psi > 3300 rpm) > With a good engine and proper care anybody should be able to stay within > the above limits. > > Stan Wilder > 83 Air Cooled Westfalia > > > > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:59:26 -0500 "G. Matthew Bulley" > <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> writes: > > There is one assertion that Bob makes that didn't sit right with > me, > > and > > those of you not interested in theoretical discussions are welcome > > to > > depart before you doze off on this one... > > > > The primary assertion is that climbing a hill = increasing the load > > on > > the motor (which in turn) = increase in waste heat. My experience > > doesn't bear this out at all. Follow me... > > > > Using our current Vanagon Westfalia (4speed manual on a 2.0 l stock > > box) > > as an example... on encountering a hill, if you reduce your speed > > to > > about 45-48 mph, and put it in 3rd, you have used the transmission > > and a > > reduction in speed to reduce the load on the motor. You've made a > > mechanical exchange, sacrificing time, and distance to essentially > > reduce the pressure required at the crown of the piston. The motor > > spins > > faster, under much lighter load to move you more slowly. That's the > > idea > > behind a transmission. > > > > Again, in my experience, by reducing my speed, and keeping the van > > in > > the "sweet spot" of 4,400-4800 rpm, even if that means downshifting > > to > > second, or driving only at 1/4 throttle for flatter stretches, I > see > > no > > heat gain. None. The fan is blowing at its peak, the oil cooler is > > working at its peak, and thanks to lower gears, and some patience, > > my > > motor is not straining or gaining new heat. I've actually seen the > > oil > > temp in my 914 (a different car) drop on long climbs. > > > > My experience biking bears this out as well. Most riders have a > > "sweet > > spot" between 60 and 72 pedal strokes per minute (30-36 rpm at the > > crank). As long as you aren't racing (going for speed) you can > > climb > > mountains all day long, and never tire more than on the flats, if > > you > > change gears appropriately to keep pedaling in your sweet spot. > > > > Thoughts on this appreciated. > > > > From historic, walkable Mount Olive, NC, > > > > G. Matthew Bulley > > Bulley-Hewlett > > Corporate Communications > > Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com > > Alliance: www.ntara.com > > Home: www.MountOliveNC.info > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On > > Behalf > > Of Robert Donalds > > Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 6:51 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: '80 Westfalia-- best way to drive over passes > > > > fellow vanagon types > > > > air-cooled engines collect heat over time lets say you are driving > > down > > the highway for an hour or two > > in the heat of the summer and you then find that the road is in > > fact > > going to have a long incline. The engine that you have been driving > > for > > an hour or so is completely saturated with heat that means the oil > > is at > > around 225 f ( and that all the heat the oil will willingly absorb) > > the > > heads are at least at 300 350 f ( I don't believe most gauges ) and > > now > > you want to add more load to the engine. so the head temp will > > continue > > to climb as will the oil temp. The air cooled engine can and does > > have > > limits as to the load you can place upon it and those limits drop > as > > the > > ambient air temp and road heat goes up because the air the fan pulls > > in > > is hotter can not absorb the heat off of the heads was fast as is > > needed > > when you push a fully warmed engine up a long grade in the heat of > > the > > day you might not blow the engine up but the engine will degrade > > (make > > less power) every time you do this So why would VW make an engine > > that > > cant take a licking and keep on ticking like it did last summer?. > > they > > did!!! the difference is the fuel. the new fuels are very fancy > > they > > make better power and are what I like to call designer fuels they > > are > > blended to run a water cooled engine with head temps that are much > > lower > > and consistent. the air cooled engine has head temps that hit 450 > > 500 F > > at the spark plug on a climb up a pass I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR GAUGE > > SAYS > > it a toy not an instrument and is nice to look at but that's > > all.The > > fuel can let you down in a big way under these conditions. when the > > fuel > > has what I will call abnormal combustion it burns slower and hotter > > and > > none of this is good for the air-cooled engine > > The thing to do is to stop at the bottom of the pass for an hour > > and > > have lunch, make the van rock for a while, have a nap and let the > > engine > > cool down. The engine will never get anywhere as hot in the 10 or > > 15 > > mile of climb as it would if you hit the hills fully warmed up in > > the > > heat of the day doing 60 mph > > BECAUSE THE ENGINE ACCUMULATES HEAT OVER TIME and the amount of > > time > > depends on the air temp, load and we could also say fan intake air > > temp, > > air fuel ratio and some other stuff that I am afraid to go into > > Im not kidding so pack a lunch > > all right reserved > > Bob Donalds > > http://www.bostonengine.com > > > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. >

__________________________________________________ FREE voicemail, email, and fax...all in one place. Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com