Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:21:44 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      LONG gear report and travelogue
Comments: To: syncro <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Hi all, Wow, what a trip. Thank you again to all who offered assistance if needed, and especially to Richard Jones in Boulder for getting me pointed in the right direction when my clutch master cylinder failed last week in Denver. It was an easy repair, and I didn't lose a single day.

I'll start with some statistics, then move on to a gear report, and finish with an abbreviated travelogue.

I am running a 1990 syncro westy, BFG 27x8.5x14, factory rebuilt WBX 2.1 with about 35K on it. Van has 205,000, including tranny and VC. Driveshaft is 100K old. Before leaving, I did plugs, dist cap, rotor, wires, timing, coolant flush (Autobahn), thermostat, rad fan switch (lower cut-in temp), P/S pump, Castrol 20W50 (non-synthetic), and Mann oil filter. The tires were at 48 PSI rear, 44 PSI front. I discovered mid-trip that the BFGs may not be the same diameter, even though they are all the same size. More on that later.

I estimate the BFGs to be about 6% bigger than 205/70/14s. In my stats, I've given the indicated mileage/etc. first, and the 6% higher figure in parenthesis. Strangely, my indicated mileage seems to jive perfectly with mileage signs on the road, but you know how that goes....

I ran on cruise control all the time, indicating 70-72 MPH at most.

STATISTICS

States visited: 21 plus D.C. Total hours of travel: 123.75 Total hours of stops: 13.83 Net total hours of travel: 109.92

Total miles: 7010 (7431) Avg. MPH with stops: 56.65 (60.05) Avg. MPH without stops: 63.77 (67.60)

Gas stops: 34 Total gallons of gas: 453.50 Avg. MPG: 15.46 (16.39)

Longest travel day: 20 hours Shortest travel day: 2 hours, 25 minutes Average travel day: 9 hours, 10 minutes

Windiest f*%$@$g state in the union: Wyoming Coldest night: Wyoming (ice on my comforter in the morning) Number of times I cursed Wyoming for said wind: countless Best road traveled: turnpike across northern Ohio (great travel plazas) Max. days without a good cup of coffee: 10 Total Egg McMuffin breakfasts consumed: 12 Dog injuries: 2 Number of people who yelled at me to warn me of the "forgotten" gas can on my roof: 11 Number of policemen who pulled me over for the same reason: 1

GEAR REPORT

Coleman PowerCat Catalytic heater--on the advice of the list, I bought one of these. With the propane cylinder removed, it fits nicely under the back seat on the passenger side. It worked very well, even in sub-zero weather, to keep the edge off the cold. In milder temps (20s and 30s), it was downright comfy, i.e. sitting around in a T-Shirt. Regardless of what Coleman says, it does generate fumes, and I wouldn't go to sleep with it running, even with the poptop up and the window cracked. It also served as a nice defroster in Wyoming, to melt the ice on the inside of all windows and on my comforter.

Cup holders from Bus Depot, folding Carat style--These worked very nicely. Unfortunately my van already had broken ones installed, so I used the same screw holes (I hate making new holes). The old ones are mounted too high, so anything taller than a 12 oz can doesn't fit very well--hits the heater controls. I will probably add an extension plate behind mine that mounts to the original holes, and lowers the cupholders an inch or two. I'd recommend installing these as low as possible if you're doing it for the first time. The Bus Depot version are very nice in that the retaining arms are on a pivot, instead of a slide like the old ones--the slide style is very easy to break.

Scissor jacks for leveling from Bus Depot--Again, these worked well, with a couple of caveats. First of all, the pin that goes into your jacking point is smaller than the vanagon jack point, so you have to be very careful to seat it all the way in, and make sure it stays there when you start putting pressure on it. Also, they rely on a little bit of sideways torque when they start lifting, which became apparent the night I was camped in a truck stop coated with ice. I couldn't use the jacks that night, as they would just slip out from under the van. The stock jack didn't have that problem. This is a rare situation, but nonetheless. A handful of sand would have solved the problem. Also, I bought two jacks thinking I'd need them both, but so far have yet to use more than one. I.e., if the van is sloped downhill and to the right, I just jack up the RF corner, and problem is solved. I'm sure that with enough slope, two might be necessary. If I could do it over again, I'd probably start with one. I also discovered that I can fit the stock jack and lug wrench, two scissors jacks, and two torque wrenches in the shelf behind the A/C with a little work.

Blitz, USA Spill Proof 5-gallon gas can--Biggest equipment failure of the trip--what a piece of junk this was. It has a nozzle that is spring loaded so you can invert it and then open to fill. Trouble is, the nozzle doesn't reach in far enough to open the restrictor flap on the van, so gas can't get into the tank quickly enough and just pours out everywhere. The nozzle also leaks badly around the spring mechanism. In addition, it leaks badly when closed due to elevation and temperature changes. I'll be pulling the luggage rack off the westy to clean the gas out from under it. Still searching for a safe and useable external gas solution...

Splash Slug A Bug washer fluid--worked well to dissolve bugs, but got slushy in moderately cold temperatures (20F).

Castrol 20W50 (non-synthetic) oil--Was sluggish in Wyoming (below 0F), but great everywhere else.

Mann oil filter--Well, all was ok in CA, but the oil pressure light/buzzer was coming on again at low RPMs and/or under load. I may try the synthetic Castrol to see how it goes. Not a major problem, just something to be aware of.

RedLine synthetic tranny fluid--I forgot that temperature is usually an issue with shifting ease--it was like being in warm temperatures all the time. Awesome.

Honeywell Ceramic Electric heater--Worked great. Has a shut off if it gets tipped over, so I felt confident leaving it running at night with the dogs in the van (they weren't allowed inside at all places I visited). It is small enough to easily fit in the closet as well.

Ogallala Down Comforter--I've had this for years, but mention it for those with allergies. Ogallala Down is a mixture of down and milkweed fiber, which has properties identical to down. Milkweed also traps down allergens, which makes for a hypo-allergenic down comforter. I have the mid-weight version, and was actually too hot in the sub-zero temps in Wyoming. Everywhere else, I found myself needing to let in some cool air all night. An awesome product, worth the money. By pulling it in from the sides of the poptop bed, the poptop can be closed with the comforter still in place, and no gaps around the poptop seal.

Stock Westy Water Pipes/Tank--I was very worried about pipes freezing and bursting. The two coldest nights, I was without electricity, and ran the Coleman heater morning and evening. The rest of the time, I kept the ceramic heater running on low at all times I was parked. I never saw so much as slush in the line to the sink. I still would be careful with a long trip with no heat (i.e. camping in the mountains for 5 days or something), but I am much more confident that the insulation in the westy did its job.

TRAVELOGUE

The trip was as follows: Foster City, CA to Denver, CO, one day in Denver Denver, CO to Chicago, IL, one day in Chicago Chicago, IL to New York, NY, one day in NY New York, NY to Goldsboro, NC, one day in Goldsboro Goldsboro, NC to West Jefferson, NC, two days in West Jefferson West Jefferson, NC to Hillsboro, IL, one day in Hillsboro Hillsboro, IL to Denver, CO, one day in Denver Denver, CO to Foster City, CA

Highlights of the trip were: visits with lots of family and friends, bearing witness to the World Trade Center site, viewing a taping of the Late Show with David Letterman, seeing a splittie bus with a very cool 60s paint job called the "Shaggin Wagon", finding Starbucks and Cinnabon in the travel plazas in Ohio, sunrises and sunsets in Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska, not having any bad weather the whole trip (save Donner Pass on the way home) and Woody's Pizza in Golden, CO.

Low points of the trip were: crosswinds across the country, crossing headwinds ALL the way through Wyoming and Kansas (can you say 45mph?), losing the clutch master cylinder in Denver (though it was an easy repair), bad coffee.

Here's my thoughts from my travel journal on the WTC:

"1/16/2002 Rode the ferry over to Pier 11. As soon as I got off, there was a firehouse with memorials to its lost members. As I walked up through Manhattan, there was evidence everywhere of 9/11, mainly in the form of heightened security and red/white/blue everywhere. As I walked, I found myself still unable to comprehend that an actual attack on US soil had taken place. I passed one fenceline covered with memorials, and could see plenty of window holes in adjacent buildings that were covered with plywood after they had been blown out. Turning left on Fulton, I soon came to another memorial wall, and the entrance to the recently opened observation platform. A NYPD officer asked if I had a ticket, and I said no, where could I buy one. He said they were free, but I could go on up. I headed up the plywood ramp, which was covered with inscriptions from visitors. Both here and at the memorials, I was stunned by the number of personal messages, i.e. to one particular lost soul from family or friends. At the top of the ramp, I waited for the deck to clear, so I could have a turn. While waiting, I noticed a hanging sculpture up in the tree to the right of the platform. It was made of strips of aluminum, kind of star-shaped, and made a nice sound in the breeze. Looking again, I noticed a regular pattern of holes and nylon cord, annd realized it was a venetian blind from someone's office, still hanging where it had landed over four months ago. I noticed the tree had lots of bits of magnetic tape, cable/wire, bags, etc. in it as well. Reality check. When I got to the front of the platform, there was not denying that this was real, not something Hollywood dreamed up. The rubble is mostly gone, but there are still pieces of foundation wall, piles of twisted I-beams, and a big hole in the ground. The entire blank spot must be several hundred yards on each side. Lots of activity still, probably months of cleanup to go. Another strong impact was seeing blue sky everywhere, knowing the WTC should be there to block it out. Also realizing that the WTC was about twice as tall as the surrounding buildings, which are skyscrapers unto themselves. If WTC hadn't fallen so straight down, the carnage would have been much worse. After a prayer and some tears, I left the deck and went back to the first memorial I had seen. As I read, the enormity of this tragedy really hit me. I stood there a long time, unashamed of the tears running down my cheeks. I was struck most by the messages from children, but one note from a wife to husband was very compelling: "I'll make you proud, and will never forget you or stop loving you."--pictured with their two small children. So very close to home; these were real people with real lives, and they were the most important person in the world to someone. I leave New York with a renewed sense of what it means to be free and be an American; Lady Liberty stands there, still beckoning to all who would know of a better way of life, be it here or abroad. What we have and stand for is still freely available to all who want it. I also leave with a deeper resolve than I have ever known. I realize not that freedom and our way of life is never paid for completely--there will always be those who will test our resolve, and we will again give freely of our lives to turn them away. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to all who were affected in this tragedy, and to our great nation. Long live our country and free men everywhere. --Ben McCafferty, Jersey City, NJ"

With best regards, bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."