Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:45:12 -0500
From:         Stu Schwartz <sschwartz@OS2BBS.COM>
Subject:      Camping out Veggy style. Any vegetarians on this list?

My wife and I are almost vegan...occassionally I have cheese and ice cream...she has eggs. We just finished a 2-month summer trip cross country. We used a book called the Tofu Tollbooth to locate stores to buy veg-friendly items.

Generally we cooked seitan with wild rice, tofu with a vegetable, and refried beans and safron rice. For lunch sandwhiches of tofurky and phoney baloney with rice cheese and lettuce. We tried to keep to 2 pot meals. We had the added problem of bringing the dog so we couldn't eat out a lot.

--peace-- stu

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:16:49 -0500, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Reply-To: developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM> >> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:44:16 -0800 >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Camping out Veggy style. Any vegetarians on this list? >> >>> What's in your camping food supply? >>> >> I'm still trying to perfect a vegetarian camping supply band I would love to >> learn with what solutions other vegetarians have found. >> >> I take along veggie burgers, yogurt, home made bread (sliced then frozen) >> refried beans, pancakes for breakfast (sometimes made with parmesan cheese >> in the mix for that different taste,) honey, buttermilk, grow and eat >> sunflower sprouts, lots of fruits (red bananas which ripen as we journey, >> apples & oranges mostly.) We stop at all markets for fresh produce & local >> fruits. Spirulina of course, but do depend on canned foods somewhat like >> olives, chick peas & frozen stir fry stuff. Avocados, And comfort foods like >> potato chips, corn chips. A good supply of sunflower green sprouts helps & >> I'm going to experiment with bringing a tray or two along if I can figure up >> where to stash them. Sprouting sunflower seeds (not in hulls) is a great >> source of nutrients and it is living food with 15 times more vitamins and >> minerals than unsprouted and takes only three days to sprout. >> >> And of course we eat out in the evening when near civilization and love to >> find salad bars and veggie food places. I found many in Cabo San Lucas area. >> >> Maybe the vegetarians on this list can come up with good solutions for >> camping supplies, and perhaps we can learn from each other. >> >> William Polowniak

--peace-- stu