Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:32:26 -0800
From:         Brian and Carol Megas <bmegas@ISLAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: camping out veggie style

Something close to my heart! I haven't eaten dead animal parts for years, but my husband and my children are hard core carnivores and my mother-in-law doesn't know how to cook unless it includes ground-former-four-foots. As a result, I have become quite adept at making menus that keep everyone fat and happy. As to camp food - for the last few years, my husband and I have been doing mostly backpacking camping excursions as we only just purchased our '86 Westy to replace the one the kids grew out of 10 years ago, so I'm having some trouble coming to terms with the fact that weight doesn't matter so much and everything doesn't have to be dehydrated! I'm looking forward to being able to stew up some quick Thai curries because I will be able to bring along the coconut milk and curry paste as well as the raw vegetables, cashews and beer. Staples which I keep always in the van are pasta, rice, yuppie freeze dried instant dinners (of which the selection of vegetarian entrees just keeps getting better and better), coffee, instant tofu milk and, for my husband, canned fish. Before a trip, I will load up with zip-locks containing pre-measured flour mixtures for making biscuits/hotcakes, butter, cheese, canned milk, frozen juice (to mix one cup at a time) and a variety of canned beans, olives, peanut butter and honey. Also, always on board are a selection of my basic spice rack, salt, pepper, red pepper sauce, basil, cumin, turmeric, lemon grass, much garlic and ginger, cardomom and cinnamon, as well as some olive oil and vinegar. Oh, and, of course, popcorn. We had no trouble staying well-fed on 10 day wilderness backpacking trips, so I'm sure we won't lose any weight in the luxury of the Westy.

Bon appetit!

Carol Megas '86 Westy "Bruno" Brian, Carol, Thea, Deverelle and Kelsey Megas Box 1051, Chemainus, BC,Canada, V0R 1K0 bmegas@island.net http://www.island.net/~bmegas/ **to make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake**