Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:27:11 -0500
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Thanks re: Heads Leak, Dang It!
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com, jwalker17@earthlink.net, SyncroList - post
          <Syncro@ONElist.com>
Comments: cc: "Hansen, Carl" <carl.hansen@lmco.com>,
          "Pickford, Lisa & David" <dlpickfo@jamadots.com>

thanks Ken, I'm heading out to look at things now. Hope I can determine what is going on. Of course, time is not my friend. I'm deep into First High School Robotics right now (www.usfirst.org), and next month a trip to the Daytona 500 that I won ............... *************************************************************

update, since I don't seem to have sent the first message out earlier.

Definitely head leak. I DROVE HOME, then PARKED FOR AN HOUR or so, when I went out to check things out I found:

1) No apparent leakage at any of the hoses, all around. Using a mirror and a bright light, I did get a pretty good look.

2) SAW DARKER AREAS ON THE HARD RUBBER HEAD GASKET - on the HEAD SIDE, not the cylinder sleeve side. Areas seem to be at the corners, rather than flat areas, of course I could see the corners better, but I did use a mirror on a stick to get a look at as much as I could.

3) Forward top corner on left side, and forward low and back low on right side. Corresponds with what I saw dripping from underneath a couple of days ago.

4) The back left hard rubber gasket had water antifreeze on it. Put my finger on it.

5) Did not see a leak off the water pump. Kind of hard to see, and I don't know where the weep hole is either, but seemed greasy dirty, not wet dripping.

6) After I RAN the ENGINE for 5 TO 10 MINUTES, all SIGN OF LEAKAGE DISSAPEARED. Nothing showing on the hard rubber head gasket, nothing on the lower extremities of the block like I say before. I would guess that the heat from the engine warms things up and sign of leakage evaporates.

Maybe someone can benefit from my investigation. I first suspected leakage because the temp light started to blink. Then I smelled slight odor of Antifreeze right after stopping when walking round the back.

Ch

'89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - '87 16V GTI '80 850 Yamaha Special '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage - parting out - body gone, parts remain '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto) - SO's

New Jursey (our hearts remain in MinneSnowta)

In a perfect world without walls or fences........ .....................why would we need Windows or Gates?