Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:41:41 -0800
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: gas can

Frank, The Mercedes version sounds neat. Where can I get one? The one a friend was using must have been a different brand. He bought it in a garage sale, but it was made in Germany, and did fit in a Volkswagen rim. Harald '90 westy

Frank wrote: > To each his own! I've logged a few years with the Mercedes version. Used it > three times so far. Each time running out of gas after a long highway > stretch. Two of these were desolate night runs and one was in the middle of > the hot afternoon, central valley, summer. The cap opening mechanism goes > into a vapor release mode before it can be fully released and the transfer > nozzle affixed. The can has a flat on its base to be set on during this > operation to orient the fill spout correctly. If the spout is correctly > oriented there is no way to eject hot liquid gasoline unless the gas can has > been overfilled beyond its maximum fill level. As designed, the tank has an > air gap for gasoline expansion of more than 0.45 liters. For a 7 L fill to > expand this much, there must be a temperature change of more than 120 degrees > Fahrenheit. If the can was filled at 20 F, the external can temperature must > then be 140 F, which would be very difficult for the average person to > handle. If filled in Southern California, it would be difficult to fill at > less than 40 F, giving a 160 F can. Very hot to the touch. > > In any case, I can only anecdotally report that in my field trials, the can > was at most warm. Never approached the temperature of the deck chair metal I > had in the luggage rack exposed to direct sun in the middle of the day. Also > never had the experience of liquid gasoline baths. Did hear the hiss of a > pressurized cylinder being vented. Oh, yeah, the metal cap on the Mercedes > unit has a lip all around the gasket surface to deflect material away from a > perpendicular spray, that is, liquid overspray is directed along the inlet > spout. > > Oh well, to each his own. But I like it. > > Frank Grunthaner >