Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:29:44 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ventilation Controls
Comments: To: Brady Ferguson <brady@BRADY.ORG>

OK, the controls on the ceiling are the A/C. They're lower right on a westy. The one with numbers is fan speed, the other one determines how cold the A/C is. (thicker is colder).

The other four levers work like this: Top one controls amount of flow for the defroster vents (two in the center on top of the dash, and two small ones on each side for the side windows). The next one controls the temperature of the heating system up front (right hot, left cold). The third one controls the rate of flow for the floor vents (on your feet). The fourth one (supposedly) controls fresh air flow, though I can't discern any difference on either of my vanagons with this one. There is also a lever on the heater core under the rear seat that controls temperature for the rear heater. Forward is on, to the rear is off.

The knob to the right of the levers controls fan speed for the front heat. The knob to the left of the levers controls fan speed for the rear heat. So, if you want max defrosting, push all four levers to the right, and turn the knob to the right of the levers to 1,2 or 3. Max heat, push the top lever to the left, second lever right, third lever left, fourth lever right.

Two tips--I had my first vanagon for a year before I realized the heater controls are lighted at night, but my bulb was burned out. Second, the second and fourth levers have little points on the sides of them, which makes it a little easier to differentiate them by feel. Personally, I leave the first lever to the right, the third lever to the left, and just adjust temp with the second lever.

HTH, bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."