Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:53:42 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Serious and Quantitative Info on 2.1 and 1.9 WBX Engines
Comments: To: ChrisS@informs.com

In a message dated 1/29/02 12:34:01 PM, ChrisS@INFORMS.COM writes:

<< From memory: I think the 1.9L is rated 82HP@4800 RPM and the 2.1L 90HP@4800

RPM. I have posted a question to confirm that the later, '87-'88 2.1L were

rated 90HP@5200 RPM. The 2.1L has higher torque 117LB/FT@3200 RPM and the

1.9 is about 105LB/FT@2600 RPM.

To answer your question, my 1.9L gets 17 MPG in town, 16 cruising at 75 MPH

with the taller 27x8.5 tires. My friend's '89 Westy gets about 1-2 MPG

better around 55-60 MPH. Can't confirm his mileage at 75MPH since he's too

chicken to go that fast. >>

Speculation is good and healthy with cheese and crackers! For sometime, I have been writing that I had several of the detailed design papers published by VW engineers that specifically covered the 1.9L and then the 2.1L engines in all of their implementations. These papers compare fuel consumption and power output as the bare engine and as mounted in the Vanagon. The papers also detail the engineering choices made and document many of the rationales used. Unfortunately the papers are in the original German, and I have not yet taken the time to translate them other than for my own cursory reading requirements. Each paper includes an English language abstract and many of the figure captions are similarily translated. A quick translation can be obtained from http://babelfisn.altavista.com.

Oh yes, with the extensive assistance of Alistair Bell, these papers can now be accessed on his web page: http://homepage.mac.com/alistairbell/. There are many more in the process of being uploaded and inserted. I had hoped that by posting this information, those moving to "improve" the WBX might appreciate the level of design issues treated by the misguided house engineers. There are upcoming papers that address fuel economy and which detail the engineering of the hydraulic valve lifters to cite but a few. There are also articles on the design of the Vanagon Diesel and the Syncro, as well as the development of the I4, I5 and I6 engines from VAG. This latter set should be helpful for those considering transplanted power sources. Turns out, BTW, that there will probably be no such Subaru engine documentation, as Fuji doesn't publish in the open scientific and engineering literature.

I certainly hope others find these resources to be as informative as I have.

Frank Grunthaner