Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:49:01 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: (Was)  Rust repair needs body shop recomendation in Raleigh?
Comments: To: Debra Clark <debra_clark@YAHOO.COM>

I've done some rust repair myself on several vehicles. Most rust repair is pretty easy unless it is really bad.

You can scrape off, wire brush off and sand the rusted areas, then use Naval Jelly several times to get rid of most of the remaining rust. Then paint with primer, or fill in with bondo and paint it. You may be able to do the repair yourself if not too serious. It is hard to advise without seeing it. Can you email me a photo?

You may have to take the window out and "rust proof" both sides of the rust spot if it is way under the rubber. If not way under the window seal it is pretty easy to do.

I would suggest you really attempt to do it yourself rather than trust a minimum wage body shop person to do it well. If you do use a body shop insist IN WRITING that you see the repair before it is fixed with bondo type material, and after but before painting. Some body shops use a material that is better than bondo. If you insist on seeing each stage of the repair you will not get ripped off. If they won't allow you to see each stage then do not hire them.

By the way most body shops do not guarantee rust work.

If your rust is bad and requires welding new metal then a body shop can be helpful unless you have a friend who knows how to weld or braze metals.

pmail me and send a photo and I'll see what I can suggest. Be sure to use HTML in your format menu before you send or I will not get your photos.

Like most jobs if you take your time and use the right tools it will cost less than a body shop and you will know it is done right.

William Polowniak 1989 Vanagon GL 1988 Mercedes 300 SE

----- Original Message ----- From: "Debra Clark" <debra_clark@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 5:27 PM Subject: Re: (Was) Rust repair needs body shop recomendation in Raleigh?