Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:09:25 -0500
From:         Adam Brooks <adambrooks@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Vibration

Help!!!

My '86 Syncro recently developed a vibration that has me baffled.

I first noticed it on a road trip of about 200 miles round trip. It started like a tire vibration and got progressively worse.

I can only describe it as a driveline vibration, which shook the entire vehicle. It seemed to be independent on things like whether the clutch was engaged or disengaged, and seemed to worsen the slower the vehicle went, with the most severe shaking occurring at less than 20 mph.

As an experiment, I engaged and disengaged the rear diff lock, and found an empty parking lot and made tight turns. The problem seems to manifest itself in straight line driving and disappears in a turn.

I also coasted down an incline in neutral both forward and backward, with the vibration present both directions. I cant feel it specifically in the steering wheel or the brake pedal, but it does seem to transfer somewhat into the clutch pedal. In raising the vehicle off the ground, there seems to be an excessive amount of drivetrain noise and a seemingly harmonic vibration from the driveshaft.

I have about 5000 miles on a Tiico conversion, and about 35,000 miles on a factory rebuilt tranny. I haven't done anything to the car other than replaced the front brake pads recently, and suspected that to be an issue, and replaced them again to no avail.

I even checked the wheel balance and rotated the tires, no change. Any thoughts, comments or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Brooks '57 European Type 2 Standard '59 European Type 1 '86 Westy Syncro (Tiico-ized) "der Uberwagen"