Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:20:17 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Cooler Install
Comments: To: kayakjr@juno.com

How to you run the lines from the sandwich adaptor? Do they go under the motor - kind'a exposed, or did you route them some other way? ------------------------------------ Metal lines being exposed isn't a problem. I plan to use about 1 foot of rubber coming off the adapter plate, to copper / or steel lines forward to the cooler area and another 1 foot of rubber to go to the cooler connections. The cooler will go up beside the frame in the inside next to the heater 4" duct. (had it there before). This area does not get splash from the wheels in wet weather and judging from the dirt in the area, remains pretty much dirt free. I'd like to avoid fans and such. The cooler is in a decent air flow area that can have improved air flow with just a metal flap to direct the air flow over the cooler. I've never experienced overheating except at highway speeds where the air flow would be very good. This cooler is the size of your computer keyboard and that's a lot of surface area when you consider seven passes approximately 2" x 23". That is about three times the size of the stock type IV cooler that I intend to leave until the new cooler has proven itself. The larger cooler and lines will add about a quart to the oil capacity which in itself would be a help. Its real nice to get the installation done right the first time with no oil leaks. I was hoping to find someone that had specifically used this RX7 cooler with the thermostat feature. Since the RX7 is a rotary engine it has a requirement for large oil flow to accommodate the high RPMs it turns. This is just a test project for me and I'm not going to be married to anything I do here. The Westy underside looks like a vast open wasteland until you try to find a good place for the oil cooler. I like your idea of placing the cooler above the tranny but airflow is a problem at that location but like I said with this big cooler the ambient air temperature may be sufficient to cool as much as is required.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 07:48:21 -0500 kayakjr@juno.com writes: > Stan, > How to you run the lines from the sandwhich adaptor? Do > they go under the motor - kind'a exposed, or did you route them some > other way? > > As I said my oil coller is mounted above the tranny - I made > aluminum standoffs and fastened it to the hatch area floor of the > van. I did this when the tranny and engine were out of the van - > don't know how possible (easy, difficult, PIA, etc.) it would be > with the drivetrain in the van! This iol cooler has an electic fan, > thermostatically controlled. They had another option, which was > that you run a switch to turn on the fan - might be nice to just > turn on in mountain country. > > John