Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Feb 2002 17:13:10 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Boston Bob Engine - 4300 Mile Update

In April of last year I had a 2.1 WBX Boston Bob engine with the modified cam installed in my '87 Westfalia. We had some interesting times with vacuum and fuel pressure, and had to re-adjust the valves a couple of times, but eventually things worked out.

Since then I have put about 4300 miles on the engine, and thought some of you who followed the story last year might be interested in an update.

I have tracked gas and oil consumption pretty carefully. Over the last 3000 miles, I averaged 16.5 mpg. The vast majority of that is on the highway, but the little driving I do in town pulls it down substantially, because driving across Moscow takes about 10 minutes, and it never warms up.

The worst highway mileage I have had, 14.7 mpg, was last July, on my way to Portland. The AC was trying it's best to deal with 100 degree weather, and we were doing 65 in the teeth of a very stiff breeze.

The best I have had was later that month, 19.6 mpg, rolling along at 65 on the level in Eastern Washington, with the west wind at my back, and temperatures in the 80s.

Generally I seem to run more than 17 and less than 19 mpg when I fill up on the road.

It's not as good as I would like, but not bad either. This summer I am tempted to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and tinker, but unless I can pick up another 2 mpg, it would take a fair while to pay for it.

Oil consumption has been a bit of a concern. It doesn't appear to be marking the driveway with more than a drop or two, but over the last 680 miles in my book, I have added 1/2 qt of oil, a rate of a little over 2 qts per 3000 miles between oil changes. Totalling the last 3000 miles, I find that I did add a bit over 2 quarts, so it seems to be staying about the same.

Following the interesting discussion last year about oil levels, I have been keeping the dipstick level about halfway between the full and add lines, and I watch the level pretty closely.

Some folks have thought that the rings aren't thoroughly set yet. Bob thinks that I might be loosing some oil from the front seal, and indicated that he has had some engines that just do that. We'll see.

Overall, it's a nice feeling to have a solid engine, with all new hoses and fuel lines. Depending on finances, I want to have the transmission rebuilt at some point, and then if I keep up on my maintenance, I should be good for another 10-15 years.

Having just helped Matthew Pollard with his Tiico installation, it's interesting to compare the two. Overall the Tiico is stronger and more reliable, but if you have to pay a mechanic to do it, the price will be quite a bit higher than the WBX swap. The Tiico directions are terrible, and it will always be an unusual combination, so unless you are pretty mechanically inclined, I don't know - - -

If my Westy were a daily driver as well as a camping and long trips vehicle, and I wanted to put a lot of miles on it over the next 10 years, it might have been worth the extra money, but I think the WBX will do the job for me.

It's also comforting to have a Digitool on the dash. Being able to check sensor levels on the go has been a real help. I don't have to worry so much if things are behaving differently. For instance, on that trip to Portland, I was working both the engine and AC hard, and noticed sort of a click-sag from time-to-time. Checking the output voltage, I saw that when the engine sagged a bit, the voltage dropped, and I was able to figure out that it happened when the AC clutch kicked in.

This summer I'm looking forward to more travelling, with fewer worries.

-Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f@hotmail.com