Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:40:52 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant pressure gauge mounting
Comments: To: hilltech@netins.net

In a message dated 2/3/02 6:47:06 PM, hilltech@NETINS.NET writes:

<< In a closed hydraulic system, such as the cooling system in our Vanagons, the pressure everywhere in the system is very, very, nearly equal. >>

A note of disagreement here. As I just indicated in a reply to the question posted, there is a difference in magnitude of signal (pressure change) and rate of response. As indicated in Chuck Hill's response, the pressure should be constant in a closed hydraulic system ... except for compliant systems (hoses), pressure drops (across radiator, small channel tubing) and flow restrictors (heater circuit).

As I was searching for the right location, I tested three areas ('82 Diesel Vanagon configuration), to wit the coolant reservoir tank, the radiator bleed valve and the heater inlet line just before the flow control valve. As I recall (age damaged neurons and the general passage of several years since the event). The heater line response was poor and sluggish, and only behaved intelligently when the flow valve was open. All the same high pressure responses were seen on the radiator tap, but they were muted (several psi less than the recovery tank. Never did see the 1 to 2 inch negative pressure at the radiator over night.

Remember, the system shows many transient phenomena. The pressure at the water pump inlet is lower than the pressure at the outlet. Etc, etc.

I'm tired! A pressure gauge anywhere is good. Far better than none. If you are disturbed by rapid gauge movements (thinking that they distract you from the formidable process of driving) then mount it in the heater loop. If you enjoy the excitement and thrills of rapid gauge response mount it in the coolant reservoir. If you want to diagnose the state of the cooling system instead of concentrating on SWMBO's latest diatribe about attention paid to oncoming traffic, mount three! Than is, one in the reservoir, one on the radiator bleed screw and a differential one to monitor the real time differences in front to back pressure.

Frank Grunthaner