Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:30:45 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      I4 Transmission Input Shaft Length

As I have indicated in my musings on transmission gearing choices, I am building a DK transmission with DZ bellhousing for my Turbocharged Audi 3A 2.0L 8V engine project. When I did my current RV engine with DZ trans (running well, thank you), I discovered to my chagrin that the pilot bearing fit in the crankshaft, but the length of the diesel input shaft was longer than the crank recess. I had assumed that this was due to the fact that the Golf GTi engine had been designed for transverse mounting and that anomalous transmission/pressure plate/clutch approach. Don't remember the exact amount that had to be shaved. The work was done by my transmission rebuilder. The conversation went along the lines of: "Uggh, shaft too long! We cut! Fits! You pay now! Uggh!" Nothing quantitative here.

I then thought there might be a clue in the VW part numbers. For example, the 1.6L NA diesel was available in the US as the CS engine (Vanagon Diesel) (longitudinal mount), the CR (Golf, Jetta, 1.6L NA transverse) and the CY (T urbo Diesel Quantum and Audi 4000 - longitudinal, and Jetta - transverse). Well, all 1.6 L diesels, NA and factory Turbo are listed with the same crankshaft number 068 105 101 M. Likewise all 1.8 L gas I-4 engine use the same crank (026 105 101 E) whether or not they are mounted transversely. Of course, the part drawings show the same pilot bearing for all longitudinally mounted engines (and no such item for the transverse units).

So I don't know if the pilot bearing hole in the crank is the same for the Vanagon Diesel as it is for the Audi 3A 2.0L engine. Anyone with a diesel or gas crank to measure depth?

But I do know the quantitative difference in the length of the DK and DZ transmission input mainshafts. The DK (air cooled with 4.57 final drive) has an input shaft length of 298 mm. The DZ (diesel, 5.86 final drive) shaft is 287 mm. For a cutting removal length of 11 mm!

Hope this helps someone someday.

Frank Grunthaner

I checked Tom's pages. Very helpful but not exactly quantitative. Now the problem is somewhat unusual in that the