Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Feb 2002 01:51:44 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I4 Transmission Input Shaft Length (Full Story)
Comments: To: mdlind@rica.net

Myron,

Its a very interesting story. Turns out there are large differences at least for the data set consisting of the CS (N/A-Vanagon Diesel), the 3A (2.0L Audi), the DZ (Vanagon Diesel transmission) and the DK (Vanagon A/C transmission). For clarity we need to define some dimensions:

1. Crankshaft end nub - the furthermost projection of the crankshaft measured from the flywheel mounting face. For the NA Diesel you get 5.25 mm. For the Audi 3A, I get 14.0 mm.

2. Pilot Bearing shaft depth - the distance from the crankshaft end nub to the base of the hole drilled in the crankshaft. For the NA Diesel, you get 11.6 mm. I get 28.32 mm for the 3A.

3. Depth of the pilot bearing shaft to the start of the bottom taper. For the 3A, I get 19.50 mm from the crankshaft nub.

4. Distance from crankshaft end nub to the mounting face of the block for the trans. For the 3A, I get 31.4 mm.

5. Bottom of trans input shaft alignment hole to block trans mount surface. I get 3.0 mm. Bottom of hole lies 3 mm above the mount flange surface.

6. Location of transmission input shaft end point relative to the transmission mount flange. For the DK transmission (Air-cooled) with DZ bell housing mounted, and for the original DK input shaft still in place, I get a projection of 8 mm. With the DZ (diesel) input shaft length, this becomes 3 mm inside of the trans mounting flange. This is due to the 11 mm shaft length specification difference (diesel 11 mm shorter).

7. Bellhousing thickness from transaxle case to motor mounting surface. For DZ (Diesel) transmission, thickness is 143 mm. For the DK (Air-cooled) transmission, the bellhousing is 125 mm. thick. The 18 mm difference is huge. In the case of the DK transmission, with DK bellhousing and DK input shaft, the input shaft projects 26 mm beyond the mounting face. Deep into the crank.

Summary, I will cut off 12.5 mm from my DK input shaft and not look back.

Thanks,

Frank Grunthaner