Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:07:32 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: slightly off topic: VW 412
Comments: To: gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com

In a message dated 2/5/02 3:29:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM writes:

> Anybody ever use a VW 412 Wagon as a daily driver? > > Could you p-mail me with thoughts/experiences. I'm thinking about > picking one up, and want to know what I'm getting into. > >

i had one.. '74 412 squareback. had the FI 1800cc pancake engine, automatic (most were - the 4spds were rare in the US), with the Eberspacher BN4 gas heater. and roofrack. .. even had a timer on the clock so you could pre-set the gas heater to turn on before you came out to the car in the morning, so when you stepped out the front door you'd see what's left of your vw smoldering in a pile in the driveway ;<) seriously, tho..it was a fun little car. it was vw's first attempt at a "luxury car" (LOL) and was priced accordingly.. it was recieved witth mixed emotions so they didnt sell very many of them. the front seats were huge, and with the struts (rather than shocks) it rode pretty nice.. if youre lucky, get the 4spd version.. those are fast little cars, you figure it was the same engine pushing the vw bus around, so it really moved this little thing. used to freak out people at gas stations when i asked them to check the oil :<) "there the hell is the engine??" only thing i had a prob was with the location of the battery (right under your ASS) so i had to have the drivers floor patched (i used 1/4" thick plate steel :<) they were really cool little cars, people just gave them a bad rap. wish i still had it. chris