Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:53:38 -0500
From:         brad barcom <bbarcom@HOME.COM>
Subject:      High Idle Solution!
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

I just wanted to thank Joel and everyone else who gave me help in solving my high idle problem that has been a thorn in my side for several years.

For anybody who is suffering from a perenial high idle problem that comes on during the colder months of the year, I strongly recommend checking your throttle position switch. After ruling out the idle stabilizer valve, the idle stabilizer control unit, and the temp II sensor, I finally made my way to the throttle position switch. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this gizmo -- and I do mean gizmo, it is a switch on the underside of the throttle body that is on (continuity) both at idle and full throttle.

In my case, the switch never showed continuity and therefore my ECU always acted as if I was running somewhere above idle and below full throttle, which ironically caused a high idle. I don't know exactly know how this switch works with the ecu, but I'm sure someone on this list can help me out.

At any rate, the fact that this switch does not show continuity seems to have a more adverse effect on the idle in cold weather than warm -- once again, I'm sure someone can tell me why. When I pulled this switch out and pried it apart, my dismay that it didn't function was replaced with a certain awe that it ever worked at all. Truly this is one of the more flimsy parts that I've encountered in the Vanagon, but after about an hour of meticulous cleaning I was able to get it to do what it once did. Even though it is now working, I think I will buy one from Bus Depot ($56) to have on hand when this one goes again, which it surely will (by the way, thanks Ron for the great service you offer. Even though I've bought well over $1,000 in parts from you, I still would rather you have it than VW!).

I hope this helps somebody else who has the same problem as me. If you have any questions please feel free to email me and I will help in any way I can.

Thanks again,

Brad

Vanagon GL 1987 Toyota Pickup 1986

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Walker [mailto:jwalker17@earthlink.net] Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 8:23 PM To: brad barcom Subject: Re: High Idle 1987 GL

> to change. I have also checked the resistance of the temp sensor, but it to > my dismay it was well within tolerances --

i've found that this means nothing ... try replacing the sensor anyway. it's cheap and not too difficult to do. i've had the sensors pass the test and gave up and replaced it anyway ... and the problem went away. go figure. maybe the module gets old and needs a new sensor or something. or bentley's temp charts are wrong (my favorite conclusion).

> the she idles fine. However, as soon as I touch the accelerator the van is > once again off to the races until it reaches operating temperature, but even > then it never idles normally. Right now, I am running with the ABV > unplugged.

also check the idle position switch and the full throttle position switch (same switch on the 87's). the switch(es) may be failing to tell the idle stabilizer module that you really are at idle .. or worse, telling it that you are at full throttle (in which case it richens the mixture .. which would definitely raise the idle).

> I also removed the idle stabilizer control module from behind the passenger > side tail light. Upon opening it up, I could see no visual burns as others > in this group have noted, although it did smell oddly electrical in that > cooked-board sort of way. However, I don't know if this really means > anything, as that little bi-folded board has been stuck in that small casing > for the last 15 years. I'd smell too if I were in there all that time.

the best thing is to find someone with a similar year bus ... and see if they will swap parts with you for testing. if you swap the module, and it cures the problem, then get a new module ... $$$!!! :( same thing with the valve.

first thing i'd do is swap the temp sensor. just put a new one in. it's like $12-15 (get a new rubber o-ring, too ... another $1!) and in the words of many mechanics, "you probably needed a new one, anyway". :) then try swapping parts to determine the culprit (if the sensor doesn't fix it). in my experience, it's usually been the temp sensor. only once have i seen a module that was flakey.

and check the grounding wire/strap to the engine ... there should be a large wire or braided copper strap over on the left side of the engine, going from the cylinder head to the wall by the ignition coil. if this wire/strap is corroded or missing, the engine is NOT getting a good electrical ground and all sorts of strange electrical behaviour can happen.

good luck! joel