Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:57:18 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finding TDC (dumb question?)
Comments: To: okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM

I'm led to believe that you are new to the 81 so I want to include these few tips. #1. Install new valve cover gaskets. #2. Use a bright flashlight and examine the valve stems contact area with the adjuster screws. Examine the adjuster screws... tiny pits are acceptable but chips are not. #3. re torque the rocker arm stands. #4. Examine the suffice of the cylinder head inside the valve cover area for burnt on oil. Burnt on oil stains mean you've had a hot running cylinder. If they're all pretty well holding the same color you can relax. Also look at the markings on your cylinder heads and make a mental note of whether both heads are VW (you'll see the symbol inside the valve area) or AMC (no mark in there with AMC). Mismatched heads cause problems they should both be the same mfg. #5. Your engine may be hard starting and you may have valve noise for as much as 15 minutes after you adjust the valves. #6. You can flood the injected motor if you have three or four non starting cycles (your cold start valve sprays on each start attempt). If it doesn't start right away give it a five minute break and try again. #7. Lifter noise of one minute is normal on start up of mid life engines but it should go away right after starting. #8. You may need to adjust your timing and idle speed after the engine has reached full operating temperature a few times (set timing and idle with engine warm). #9. If your engine doesn't idle out smooth or tends to race ...... consider new seals under the injectors. The little seals get hard from heat and shrink allowing for vacuum leaks.

Yada Yada Thats all. Stan Wilder

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:29:10 -0600 Jon Joyce <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > I'm planning on adjusting the rockers on my '81 (w/ hyd. lifters) in > the > next day or so. I've read through the procedure in the manuals I > have, as > well as consulted the bostonengine.com site. The question I have is, > what's > the easiest way to rotate the type IV motor to find TDC on the > cylinders? I > know on a T2 upright motor, it's accomplished by turning the gen > pulley, but > obviously some things are different on this motor. Do I have to bump > the > starter or what? TIA- > > JJ > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: > http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.