Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:29:30 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finding TDC (dumb question?)
Comments: To: allanb@CARLSON-AUDIO.COM

Actually I use a piece of hollow 1/8" thin wall brass hobby tubing. I bought it to check deck clearances when I built my engine. I crushed it with each cylinder and checked it with a mic after cutting 1/2" off after each test stroke. Worked great and it crushes enough that it doesn't lock the stroke or bind the engine. It was a handy 98 cent tool for checking deck height and piston/head clearance. I just drop it in and when I can't rotate the brass tube anymore I know I'm on top.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:09:58 -0800 Allan Bagley <allanb@CARLSON-AUDIO.COM> writes: > >>>You can use a coat hanger wire or other > >>>screwdriver or whatever to put into the #1 spark plug hole and > rock the > >>>vehicle until it tightens up on the coat hanger wire / > screwdriver etc. > > Use extreme caution turning over your motor with hard objects stuck > in the > plug hole! > > Many years ago (25+!?!?!) I broke off the tip of a hardened > precision screw > driver in a cylinder this way. Damned if I can remember what vehicle > it was > (fog of time/age). I was able to fish it out with a small magnet and > some > tape, etc. No harm done, but I am quite sure my heart stopped and I > began to > sweat profusely when I realized what had happened! > > > Allan Bagley > 86 Westy > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.