Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:24:32 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Joker accessories for Westfalia

I just got some late 80s German Westfalia brochures. Here are the points of interest, although bear in mind the brochures are in German and I don't speak German (the pictures are in English)

The brochure is for the Westfalia "Joker". Which is a Vanagon and is pretty similar to the Westfalia package here in the USA. There is a pop-top camper like the USA version and a fixed high top--looks to be a fiberglass top and is similar to the Chevy and Ford camper conversion vans you see here with the high top to allow occupants to stand (for those who haven't seen a Vanagon high top)

There are photos and descriptions of options and features. One is of a canvas child's cot for the Vanagon. Fits in the cockpit like the canvas cot in the earlier loaf buses mounting between the windshield posts and to the posts behind the front doors. The cot hangs over the seats and must be a good bed for a small child. To my knowledge, the loaf child's cot will not fit in the Vanagon as the Vanagon is wider than the loaf.

The side windows on the Joker are also different. They look to be single-piece plastic. They hinge at the top, so they open out from the bottom and are held up by pistons like those that hold open the rear door. Would be nice in the rain. (Perhaps the plastic cannot be used here in the USA because safety glass is required?)

There's a toilet in it's own cabinet that mounts behind the passenger seat. The cabinet has a cushion on the cover so it become a bench when the lid is closed and the toilet is out of sight.

Awnings. Nothing too new here. A retractable awning that pulls out like a window shade from a spool--the kind you see on campers here. There is also a removeable awning that is a peice of canvas or nylon that looks to have a pole that sits in and then clamps to the rain gutter. The far end of this awning is supported by two poles and guy lines. This looks like a nice temporary and easily portable awning.

There is a Westfalia side tent with lots of plastic windows and no floor. It's blue and white and looks like an updated version of the old style Orange side tent for the loafs. And then there's a real neat carrying case which fits exactly in the Westfalia front roof rack . It has three hold-down belts that are spaced to fit exactly in the exiting kleets or brackets on the roof rack.

There is an aluminum foil-looking wrap with a bit of a bubble wrap look, that wraps around the canvas of the pop-top presumably for insulation. And then there are what look like extra thick insulated curtains that snap around the windsheild and side windows on the inside in the cockpit which also look to be for insulation . All the above are in the "Wintergardinen" section of the brochure.

Then for those who need Kinderbetten, there's a mesh net that secures over the open space of the upstairs bunk -- I guess to keep kids from rolling off the bunk.

You want more?

There looks to be an eberspacher furnace that mounts under the floor on the passenger side near in a cavity near the sliding door. It looks to be the size and shape of a large breifcase or small suitcase (possibly smaller than both). If this is correct it looks like you could mount this furnace out of the way and not have to sacrafice cabinet space as some furnaces have to be mounted. There is also what looks to be an electronic thermostat panel with a digital clock which I assume would be mounted in the cabin and allow programming the heating. (and this is on a water-cooled bus)

Finally there is the "Joker" and "Joker Club" badge that mounts and replaces where the USA Vanagons say "Vanagon". The font matches the ususal Vanagon font. So for those who want to dress up their bus with a fancy "Joker" badge and be the life of any camp out, here's your chance.

I think I have seen one of the brochures on the internet at: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/humbert.sa/jokeracess.html

But this brochure doesn't have a view of the furnace mounted under the vanagon. (to clear up I got a lot of about 6 different brochures for various Westfalia conversions)

Anyway I mention it for those who want to got through high water to try and get some of these rare-in-the-USA accessories. And I could be wrong on the function of any of them since again, I don't read German.

I also got a brochure for the a VW Sven Hedin, which is the Westfalia conversion of the larger VW van available in Europe. I forget the name of the larger van. This is a pretty cool conversion with a permanent high roof and full bathroom in a relatively small Motor home platform--although bigger than the vanagon by a bit. This also has a booth-style dining table with plenty of room for four that, after dinner, folds into a double bed.

Then of course there's the brochure for the James Cook Westfalia camper on the Mercedes van paltform. It's a shame we don't see the large VW and Mercedes van in the USA. As these latter two seem to be nice sized motorhomes--I guess similar to the size of the Chinook here.

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA