Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:45:03 -0500
From:         Greg Marshall <earthboy@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Re: license plate lights

I just fixed my license plate lights this past summer...They hadn't worked for the 3 years I'd had the van!

The black plastic housing things slide out towards the back of the van. They are held in by a little plastic springy kind of arrangement that buts up against a lip on the body. to pull them out, put your hands on the side edges of the black plastic thingy, and push down, while pulling out. You'll probably find that the bulbs are fine, but the connections are corroded to bits. They're not well sealed at all. Go out and get some new connectors and crimp them on. Make sure you strip back a sufficient amount of wire too. Even the wires to my connectors were corroded a centimetre or so back under the insulation. You shouldn't have to lengthen the wires. Once you get them all rewired, spray some distributor sealer or other protector on them. The distributor cap/plug sealer I have is some kind of clear spray on mystery liquid that's supposed to be used to spray on distributor kaps to seal them from moisture. I find it works great for keeping moisture out of electrical connections, especially the infamous faulty grounds I have fixed so many of. Anyhow, hope that you figure it out in the morning. If it's cold, you may want to warm the plastic housings up with a hair drier so they don't snap.

Good Luck!

Greg, 82 Westy