Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:22:09 +0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: delayed start

I have the same problem with my van and just figured out that mine would eventually turn over after I held the ignition key in the start position for about 10 seconds. I have already replaced the ignition switch and cleaned all of the connections, but the problem still occurs if I drive for more than 1 hour then allow the van to cool completely. I used to crawl under the van and tapped on the solenoid, then it would start immediately, but now I hold the switch or bump start it.

I will be replacing the starter eventually, hopefully before it fails completely, but now it is more of an annoyance than an immediate repair item.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the ignition switch, its inexpensive and easy to change, but don't be surprised if it doesn't fix the problem.

Good luck,

Hi All-

I've been having this trouble with my 1990 Multivan for a year now. The symtom is:

Turn key to first position (can hear fuel pump come to life). Turn key to start position --- nothing happens. Can hear a slight hum that was present before trying to start. Keep key in start position. Sometimes, after a delay of up to 45-60 seconds (a long time) the engine will start. During the silence, there is no cranking or attempted starter action.

Clues: It is pretty predictable that this will occur on the day *following* a long highway trip.

Short trips around town do not cause the problem, and once it starts during the day, it will continue to start all day long. The day after short trips around town it is a pretty reliable starter.

It starts just fine regardless of temperature (except on days following long journeys).

When it won't start, I've tried wiggling the starter switch - no change pound on battery connections - no change. wiggle wires around starter - no change.

Wait a while (an hour?) and it will sometimes then start.

My mechanic says "bring it on down", but I doubt he can find the trouble when it is starting, and if I can't start it, I can't "bring it on down"!

Any guesses?

T.I.A.

-Jim

-- Jim Wheaton * e-mail: jim@musclefish.com * http://www.musclefish.com Muscle Fish / Audible Magic * 2550 Ninth St., 207B * Berkeley, CA 94710 Berkeley: (510) 486-0141 * Home Office: (707) 823-9301 --

Tim Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/