Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:48:49 -0800
From:         David Richoux <tubaman@WOMBAT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Weird Stuff----

David Katsuki wrote: > > Where is there a coolant pressure sensor in the system? I've never seen > one and don't recall > any reference to one in the manual.

as I mentioned in another part of this thread, AFAIK the coolant pressure is determined by the temperature sensor - if the pressure is high the computer assumes that the temperature is high. That is what the techs at VWOA HQ told me when I stopped by their "house" in 1985 in the middle of my round-the-country-bleeding-pressure trip. They may have been full of crap, but I was an early victim of the coolant corrosion problem.

There seem to be 3 different sensors related to coolant in the Bentley I have (1980-1984) - the Temp gauge Sender located on the thermostat block and Coolant level warning switch shown on 19.8 and wiring diagram 97.31 both send voltages to the gauge/warning light ONLY.

Temperature Sensor II is also located on the thermostat block and is shown on page 19.8 and checking info on page 24.32 and wiring diagram 97.30 - only sends voltage to the Fuel control unit (and probably to the unit marked TRNSTR IGN CNTRL Unit - [translates as Transitional Ignition Control, I guess, and is not the Hall Control or Idle Stabilizer unless the units are combined somehow ] which seems to exist on the wiring diagram but I cannot find mentioned anywhere else in the Bentley - and was the cause of another mysterious bug in my bus, BTW...)

but anyway, from the Bentley I cannot tell how the Temperature Sensor II actually works (thermocouple or pressure) - anybody know?

> > Is it actually the level sensor in the pressure tank? That doesn't seem to > be connected to the computer in any way, > and mine ('90) flashes randomly without impacting performance. Maybe a > bad temp sensor?

Pressure build up often led to a large air bubble in my coolant tank during the 1985 problem - that would have caused the Coolant level warning switch to peg the gauge and light the LED.

Dave Richoux 83.5 Westy