Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Feb 2002 09:37:40 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: '91Westy Coolant loss

KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: > > I have seen several vans with loose clamps on the plastic lines that go to > the radiator. Some times the clamps themselves are rusted to the point that > they are tight if you try to turn the screw, but are no longer clamping. If > this is the problem then it should be just a matter of some new clamps. >

Ken is right on again.

I had this exact problem about a month ago. Coolant level had been dropping and spots appearing under the front of my '91. The clamp was loose but I couldn't tighten it. The strap is stainless, but the screw is not and the rust stops it from turning in the direction you want. At the time, I assumed that a PO had replaced spring clamps with screw type but apparently the screw type were original in this case.

When I got this van about 3 years ago I had to replace the large steel coolant pipe on the lower left side of the engine. In the process I loosened and replaced some of the spring clamps on the many smaller hoses in the area. When trying recently to track down drips in that area, I found that all the screw clamps that I had used showed signs of seepage while the remaining spring clamps looked fine. I hate to admit it, but the spring clamps may be better. Sure are a PITA tho.

Larry A.