Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Feb 2002 06:10:27 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86vanagon GL
Comments: cc: DANJNOLL@aol.com

Dan if you would have searched the archives you would have found the following message which I sent to another List member who needed similar information. The piston must be removed to install a seal kit which you must get from your VW dealer. To remove the piston, remove the large circlip which is holding it in place. There is a large heavy spring behind the piston and it should pop out. If it does not it's because there is crud or corrosion around the perimeter of the piston. You will need to clean this area with a small pick and tap on the piston until it comes out. The rest of the story is below.

>> I have been there and done this, so listen up. The piston controls the second gear brake band. The band is operated by two rods rods which contact the band in pockets at the bottom ends of the band. When you released the piston the rods fell out of their respective pockets and that's why you cannot get the piston back in. You must now remove the oil pan and then the valve assembly. BE SURE TO KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN DURING THESE OPERATIONS ! Once the valve assembly has been removed you will be able to see the two rods. You will also be able to replace the ends of the rods in their respective pockets in the ends of the band. Then you will be able to replace the piston. The piston is very hard to push in as the spring tension on it is quite high. I used a small hydraulic bottle jack to do this operation of pushing and holding the piston until I could install the circlip. This also gives you some fee hands to look see if the rods are still in place. You will notice that the rod on the opposite side of the band from the piston is controlled by an adjustment screw. Do not touch this adjustment as it should be OK. Bentley explains how to adjust this screw if you feel you must fool with it. The explanation of the rods falling out of their pockets is not covered in Bentley as I suspect they did not presume that anyone would be changing the 0-rings on that piston assembly other than at a full transmission rebuild. Ha ! WRONG ! Good luck.<<

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, May 30, 31, June 1, 2, 2002 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com