Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:50:03 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: heater motor Lubrication
Comments: To: dbeierl@attglobal.net

In a message dated 2/8/02 9:54:46 AM, dbeierl@attglobal.net writes:

<< felt-pad oil reservoir >>

David,

This topic is timely to me for three reasons: years ago, I had a motor course taught by Prof. Brown; I just tried to rejuvenate a sleeve bearing, shaded pole fan motor; and I replaced the blower motor in my van.

Above all else, Prof. Brown taught me Yankee thriftiness. He was the best kind of teacher because he had retired to the university after paying his dues in the real world. His career in industry was so long that as a green engineer he had even worked on the design of traction motors for trolleys. One day when he was talking about synchronous motors, he held up a clock with a worn-out motor which had hung in his kitchen for 40 years. He complained that he was unable to get a replacement motor for it and wondered why a company as grand as GE would expect a person to scrap a perfectly good clock for want of a $1 motor.

Out of respect for Prof. Brown, I once again tried to bring back to life a shaded pole fan motor which had stopped doing its thing. It was frozen, so I broke it apart, polished the shaft, cleaned everything real well and lubricated the felts with 20 wt. After a couple of days, I found it stalled. I went through the drill again, but this time I flushed the felts and the bearings several times with everything I had on hand which said "degreaser" on its label. After letting it drip dry, I lubed it and the results were the same. What's a mother to do? I gave up and called Grainger.

I just replaced my van's blower motor with one that I had used in another van for about 40 Kmi. When it came time to button up the housing, I thought of oiling the motor, but then I remembered my recent experience and the short-lived success I have had with lubricating Volvo blower motors, so I just put it in place as-is. I feel that in fan motor which has seen its fair share of grit, fresh oil might carry dirt into the sleeves especially if more than a couple of drops is used.

Rich