Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:31:28 -0500
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      Installing 87 instrument cluster in 82

Hi All:

I just purchased an 87 instrument cluster with the tach/digital clock from an 87 and will be installing it into my 82 Westfalia. I had original just thought of replacing my clock with the tach, but after a preliminary look at the schematics for the 85 WBX and 82 aircooled, they seem to indicate that I can just swap one cluster for the other. I know I will have to run the additional wire from the coil for the tach to work, but everything else common between the two models looks the same.

My questions are:

- Has anyone in the group done this?

- What is the best way to run hte wire from the coil up to the front of the car?

- Is there anything I have missed or should look out for when installing the new instrument cluster in place of my old one?

- My Westy only has only 49k miles, but the odometer on the new cluster is at 89k. Since it looks like there are some additional features (the printed circuit foil has 6 connection going into the speedometer while mine has nothing) to the new one versus my old odometer, I am leaning towards just using the new one. Does anyone know the best way to reset the mileage to match my old odometer (can I take it apart and manually reset the gears) or is running it backwards the only way?

Thanks in advance for the info. Regards

--Jeff Strickrott 82 Westfalia