Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:13:08 -0500
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Installing 87 instrument cluster in 82
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com>

Yes that is true.

We found ours on carmax, from the newspaper classifieds listings in Louisiana. We bought it from an older couple who were now too old to drive it around. They were the original owners (the car even came with their old sales contract). We got it for $1500 plus the $700 to ship it here to Florida.

From the fact that the tires on the vehicle had all of their tread, but were age cracked beyond use, it looks like the vehicle spent all of its time over the last 10 years parked, so I am inclined to believe the odometer reading (plus the fact that the speedometer cable security markings are still intact).

One of the reason I was going to replace the original speedometer is that I have to replace either the existing cable or maybe the speedometer. The current speedometer is reading about 5 miles an hour slower than it should, and is very erratic. The needle does not move smoothly and jumps around erratically.

What effected the value of your van, the fact that you changed the speedometer or had to disconnect the cable?

I wanted to replace the existing clock with the tach as I find it a very useful driving aid (not for shifting) but just for monitoring the engine performance. Voltmeters, oil pressure and engine temperature will go in next, but I would have to find a nice place to put them.

--Jeff