Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:00:38 -0700
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Installing 87 instrument cluster in 82
Comments: To: Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>

I>look at the schematics for the 85 WBX and 82 aircooled, they seem to >indicate that I can just swap one cluster for the other. I know I will >have to run the additional wire from the coil for the tach to work, but >everything else common between the two models looks the same.

My God man, its not a diesel, is it???? :-)

>My questions are:

>- Has anyone in the group done this?

Yes

>- What is the best way to run hte wire from the coil up to the front of >the car?

I choose to run it inside. My van has the aux furnace underneath and it just looked like a pain. Drill a small hole in the rear deck and use a grommet to get the wire up out of the engine compartment. Just looks nicer that way.

>- Is there anything I have missed or should look out for when installing >the new instrument cluster in place of my old one?

I don't know about the schematics, but I put an 85 into my 81 and it was wired differently. The connectors come apart real easy for swapping the wires. If you have the bentley, its a piece of cake.

>is at 89k. Since it looks like there are some additional features (the >printed circuit foil has 6 connection going into the speedometer while >mine has nothing) to the new one versus my old odometer, I am leaning >towards just using the new one.

Again, the years may matter, but in my case, the connection to the speedo was not the same, so I couldn't use the newer one, with the trip odometer :( without changing out the cable itself.

> Does anyone know the best way to reset >the mileage to match my old odometer (can I take it apart and manually >reset the gears) or is running it backwards the only way?

No clue. Sounds like one of those things that will come apart, but not go back together :-)

Good luck. If I can help, lemme know.

Regards,

John