Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:37:59 -0800
From:         James Adams <james_adams@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Replacement engine - necessary, advisable ?

Hello,

I have a 1991 Vanagon GL, 2.1 liter engine. I'm sure that it has over 200,000 miles on it, and the engine was rebuilt once before I purchased it. I've taken it in to be looked over and I've been told by two separate, reputable mechanics that the engine's days are numbered. The oil pressure is 29 at 2000 RPM, which I was told is the very low end of the spectrum. The compression is good. The head gaskets are starting to leak so it is a matter of time before I'll need a head job. The engine smokes a bit in the mornings when I crank it and while it warms up but otherwise I can tell of no major problems by the actual performance of the van on the road. It is smooth running but has very limited power going up hills.

I want to keep this van. It seems to run well, but I am not at all a mechanic and can only trust what I'm told by mechanics or others who have more knowledge than I do. That's why I'm asking this group - what would you suggest ? Is there anything that I can do to delay the inevitable ? Someone has suggested trying to put in a new oil pump to increase the oil pressure, but I'm not sure if that would buy me much more time. And my understanding is that the heads blowing out is perhaps a more pressing issue. Again I am clueless about this sort of thing, this is a learning experience.

Also I have been told that the best long-term solution is to replace the engine with a Golf engine and conversion kit at the cost of around $5500. Is this a good idea, and does that sound like a reasonable price for that job ? I am not afraid to drop a bit of cash on this vehicle as it will most likely cost me just as much to buy another Vanagon if it is in good condition. But I'm not rich and don't want to waste money if I can avoid it.

My current disposition is to ride it until it blows on me and then get the Golf engine. I've purchased a fire extinguisher. ;)

I realize that there is only so much that one can surmise from the above description of my present woes, but any sage advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-James