Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:42:21 -0500
From:         Greg Marshall <earthboy@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Re: gauge recommendations
Comments: To: Tim & Kim Dayton <5days@prodigy.net>

Tim & Kim Dayton wrote:

> I have, somewhere, the oil pressure sending unit that can allow for the > idiot light and a pressure guage. Will that fit in the Westy engine bay > (assuming I find it)? > > tim

It will fit, but you will either need to modify the tin, or use an adapter hose. The hole in the tin where the original oil pressure sender goes through is too small to accomodate the vdo oil pressure dual sender. I decided to go the adaptor hose route. Even then, I could find no tool that would allow me to screw the hose into the engine block. There's not enough space to get any type of wrench down there, nor can you access it from the bottom. I ended up getting a buddy to machine me a hollow post, threaded on one end to fit the block, and on the other end to fit the adapter hose. I then ran the adapter hose to the sender, and used the bracket that came with the sender to mount it on the engine tin over on the left side of the engine bay. To make sure it was proparly grounded, I ran a ground from the sender to one of the many grounds near by. I ran the wire underneath the van, in a cluster with the temp guage wire. so far, no leaks, and consistent readings.

If you need any more info, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

greg 82 westy.