Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:35:19 -0900
From:         Mike Moery <mike.moery@ACSALASKA.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1981 Westy project fun
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU>

Instead of paint, you might consider bonding automotive grade vinyl to the side panels and cabinet shelves, in place of the original plastic coating, and headliner material to the overhead areas. Contact adhesive works great for this, and the results look much better than paint. As a bonus, the headliner material has excellent acoustic qualities, helping to quiet the van's interior. I found a great selection of this stuff at a local upholstery shop.

    -Mike Moery Anchorage, AK   ---------------         ||E[__] [__]|[_]\         | =======| -   ||   * * * *( o )-------( o )= 'Ol Bessie '82TD Westy

Hello everyone and thanks for all the endless help you have provided me with my van. Here is some notes and items for reading.

1. This is my 1st Vanagon (Westy) and I have pleasantly discovered how much fun it is to drive. I have had it on blocks for two years rebuilding the engine. I love the cab forward design. However I do need to track down all the clunks and clangs I get when I go over a bump. I have just replaced all the shocks and what a difference. Next I will start removing the cabinets and putting down soundproofing and tighten everything up when I reinstall the cabinets.

2. I am now in the process of trying to fix the windshield wiper mist. I get the sound of the motor running but no squirt on the windshield. But, it does drip from the bumper on both ends... looks like I have got to replace hoses and maybe nozzles. Anyone know where to get the nozzles?

3. Another item is the propane system, my regulator is shot. I am gonna stop by Camping World tonight to see if they have a 299-00 (290 series) Marshall Brass 2 Stage to replace it and I might get the On/Off valve too... might as well. Anyone know how much I will have to bend my pipes to get it in? I have been told their not the same size... the new one is a little longer.

4. The interior is shot. I plan on carpet replacement (do myself) when I have the cabinets out. At the same time pulling all side panels, stripping the peeling/cracked vinyl off and painting white. I don't know how to bend the carpet around the front wheel wells though. Can we buy these pieces already bent, ready to install??? Problem is then that I have to buy the entire carpet set so it would match. Anyone know ??? TMI or Sewfine ???

I might go this route if I can find a color I like. The seat upholstery is ripped/shredded. I have picked out a wonderful fabric for that and found "hard" foam for them too. All at a great little place that I discovered in Tempe, AZ. They stock a full line of automotive/boat/seamstress products at reasonable prices.

5. Kayak racks... the primary reason for this van. Whitewater boating fun. I was talking to a friend last night who told me he totaled one of his vehicles :-( But on a positive note he offered me his Yakima's for free. This means I save around $200... all I have to buy is the bottom part and rain gutter attachments.

Well that's all for now.

Sean Garrett 1981 Westy (his) 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) sean.garrett@asu.edu