Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:14:04 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: gauge recommendations
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@AOL.COM

This is about air cooled........... sort it out and decide which gauges you need. ---------------------------- Being somewhat of a cynic I installed two oil temp gauges (just happened to run a shielded six wire bundle). The first gauge was to the sender in the oil sump plate with the VDO gauge and sender from Bus Depot. The second sender was mounted in the oil pressure bypass port using an Audi 5000 sending unit and OEM Audi gauge. (second gauge now removed) Historically I got temperature differentials of ten to twenty degrees from the two locations. At highway high temperature operation the oil temperatures about balanced within ten degrees but after a forty five minute (from cold) town run the sump plate sender read 20 degrees higher temperatures than the bypass port sender. The overall temp was about 200 in city driving. The overall temp for highway driving got as high as 266 degrees in very heavy loading (70-75 mph and accelerating up hills and fighting head winds). Under normal highway driving I managed to keep moving at 65-70 mph and maintain a 220 degree reading. If you just reduce your speed or otherwise un burden the engine cool down from highway operating temperatures requires about thirty + minutes to loose 40 degrees of temperature from the oil. If the vehicle is stopped and the engine is off then the cool down cycle is shortened to about 20 minutes to loose 40 degrees. This idiot method of testing was done when outside ambient temperatures were at about 90 degrees. I evaluate reducing engine burden just as effective as spinning the fan faster and in effect fewer explosions in the chamber less heat. There are certainly times when having the engine at peak torque (4200 rpm) is preferable to slowing down and effective use of the capable gearbox is dictated to maintain the peak power range required to climb hills. You won't be seeing any rocket response from an oil temp gauge since the oil temperature is slow to build and long to reduce. Cylinder head temperature reading is more responsive and will give fairly accurate readings within three to five minutes. How the two gauge readings truly relate is still somewhat of a mystery to me. I can run 380 CH and 204 oil temp. Conversely I can run 350 CH and 240 oil temp. In most of my trips that are 130 miles straight down an Interstate my gauges all settle in and seldom move; the oil pressure 50-55, oil temp is 220, cylinder head temp 350/360, volts 14. If the situation changes as in fighting head winds or climbing long inclines the first reading to change is the CH temp. I may be well past the hill and starting a new one before the oil temp even wobbles out of temperature changes that took effect and are currently reversing. So I've got to go along with Bob Donalds in his statement that Gauges are mostly toys of a sort and too much dependance on the insignificant changes in the readings is just unneeded stress. In the one event in seven years when I blew #3 ring lands and badly scored the cylinder while running 85 MPH against a head wind, I saw the oil on my back window five minutes before it showed up on the idiot light. I didn't have an oil pressure / temp gauge or cylinder head temp gauge at that time but I'm sure I'd have seen excessive oil temperature and CH temp before I ever pushed it that extra little bit that blew the works. I drove 250 miles back home by adding a quart of oil every 35 miles. I lucked out and did not ruin the whole engine.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia