Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:03:58 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 vanagon GL  w/ A/C electrical ALT
Comments: To: DANJNOLL@AOL.COM

2. fit in the dash in the slot below the emergency flasher... Got a round VDO http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/00gauges.htm

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:49:56 EST Dan Noll <DANJNOLL@AOL.COM> writes: > I just put my 3rd alternator on in two years. There is a long story > in this > becuase I took it to Bahrain for 2 & half years and brought it back > (it is > very hot and humid ... 100's for weeks). I bought a reman 90 amp > form > autopart .com (don't knw if I would do that again) w/in 2 months I > had > another dead battery (the heat seems to eat batterys and > alternater(maybe) as > well as waterpumps but I don't think the alt was strong enough) > > Turns out It was only putting out 13.3 volts... temp fix, my > mechanic went to > a junkyard and got toyota alternater and adapted it... it worked! > 6 months > later I shipped it back to the states and after 6 months I got my GL > with a > dead battery... > > Bought a new battery ... 7 months later ,dead battery... battery is > good and > alt is putting out 12.1. I bought a NEW alt form Kragan auto and > seem to be > charging... with all that said, not being partial to electrical > systems I am > looking for a volt meeter that will: > 1. work and > 2. fit in the dash in the slot below the emergency flasher... > > There is more to this story... while in Bahrain the AC clutch > burned and > melted some wires, mechanic cleaned that up , and I have a FORD > relay in the > system; however, when I turn on the AC the raditor fan comes on in > high and > shuts off only when the AC is shut down and draws ALLOT of juice. > Good note, > it runs really cool and never overheats with AC on. > I'm afraid to toucha nthing because it works but when summer comes I > want to > use the AC and not worry about dead batteries melted wires. > > Dan > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.