Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:26:21 -0800
From:         Christopher Schardt <christopher@MOESKITCHEN.COM>
Subject:      84 vanagon engine dilema

Hi,

I just bought an 84 vanagon for $500. Nice and cheap, huh! Well I knew the engine had overheating problems (the heads need re-sealing) and the 3rd gear syncro is shot, so a good deal it MAY be.

Though I'm told the transmission will run pretty well for a while with a bad syncro, I've decided I really want to rebuild it. When it comes to the engine I'm faced with a dilema. Spending $1000-1600 to fix a 1.9L engine that develops only 82HP getting bad gas mileage seems like throwing good money after bad. I've therefore investigated some engine swap options. The one that makes best sense to me for reasons of reliability and power is the Tiico conversion, which utilizes a brand new South African inline four 110HP engine. Of course this is a LOT more money.

Other considerations: * Though I'm technically capable, I'm not a mechanic and I don't want to spend lots of time figuring out how to install a junkyard engine and then have it break down in the desert. * I will be transforming this van into a submarine art car, with a fair amount of extra weight, and the necessity of towing a trailer carrying the nose and tail sections. * I'll be driving up into the high Nevada desert so I could use the extra power and reliability. * I won't be driving the van that much, as I have another car to use. I'll probably use it for long camping trips and hauling runs.

Here's what I'll pay to get the heads resealed and the transmission rebuilt head reseal: $1000-1600 transmission rebuild: $1210 total: $2210-2810

Here's what I'll pay to have the Tiico conversion done and the transmission rebuilt Tiico conversion $3800 conversion installation: $1750 transmission rebuild: $1070 total: $6620

So It's approximately $4000 more. My questions:

1) Any thoughts on the Tiico conversion? Good, bad, ugly?

2) Any other conversion suggestions that can be done by a commercial mechanic for a reasonable price (not too much time spent figuring out how to make it work)?

3) Which engine would be the most reliable, re-headed 1.9L stock, or Tiico?

4) Would the new engine be a selling point if and when I decide to sell my van? ie: Could I expect to recoup part of the extra $4000 when I sell?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Christopher Schardt 415-558-9908