Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:55:14 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 vanagon engine dilema
Comments: To: christopher@MOESKITCHEN.COM

Having been *somewhat* in these shoes of having decide what to invest in, here's my opinion.

I didn't get any info on the van itself (of course I might have skimmed over it), but you have to ask yourself "is this a van worth investing in? You have $500 in it, which is only a deal if it doesn't have an incredible hunger for more $$.

If you are think about rebuilding the tranny yourself, that leads me to think that you are possible capable of doing your own work. If so, consider doing your own work. That save thousands and gives you the advantage of really "knowing your vanagon". BOND with the vanagon! [helps to giggle here]

If you engine has a LOT of miles on it and/or is having any oil pressure probs or history of problems, then I'd go with the TIICO. You're in CA, so you'll save on shipping if you pick it up yourself. Plus, there are a lot of sites, data, and sources of folks who can help you through the process. I also consider the subaru conversion for a spell. Since you have a manual tranny, you're in good shape to go with the I-4 engine. I wouldn't suggest it for an AT, from what I studied.

I went with the head replacement job, myself. I spent last summer in NV/eastern sierra, tackling all of those significant little passes with an AT. The van didn't like the heat, and was slow going uphill. There's not a lot of air intake volume on those 1.9's. But, it WORKED and was a fantastic camp (the wonderful westy!) Mountains knock my mileage down to 14 mpg BTW.

Old vans suck a lot of money out of your wallet. There's not much you can do to stop that short of selling them! What you want to do is "minimize your maximum regret", to put it in an economic term. If your van is up to snuff on seam rust, suspension, bearings, interior, etc, then invest in the Tiico and get the tranny rebuilt. Then you'll be good to go for 100k or more, plus you'll get improved gas mileage!!!

If it's a dog, despite all of the coolness it exudes, then slap some boston bob head on, and drive till it drops, or just sell it. Trust me, $500 is pittance compared to some of the hidden expenses I wasn't expecting. (but, strangely I still love my westy).

Remember, what us list members say matters little. It doesn't cost us anything, but a few minutes. It's your money. Good Luck!

Brian Cochran seattle 84 westy