Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:23:05 -0800
From:         Ramón Celaya <telek@TELNOR.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Transmission
Comments: To: Myron Lind <mdlind@rica.net>

on 2/7/02 8:14 PM, Myron Lind at mdlind@rica.net wrote:

> Hi Ramon, > > Sometimes switching to synthetic oil will cause a motor and I > would guess also a transmission to start leaking. You should > research this before you drop the money for the synthetic oil. > > I have used a Chevron product called ESI. That means "extended > service interval" and it is used in over the road trucks. In > trucks it is designed to go 750,000 miles before oil needs to be > changed. It is a SAE 80-90 wt. oil. A guy named Dominic (way up in > Canada somewhere) turned me onto it. It uses Boron for the > "cushion" and so even though it is rated a GL5, there are no > elements in it that will harm your yellow (brass) metals. It has > worked very well for me. I even talked to some chemist or similar > type at Chevron before buying it just to make sure. The main > problem is that I had to buy a 5 gallon pail. Call your Chevron > distributor, make sure to tell them ESI, 750,000 change intervals > for OTR truck use. They should know exactly what you mean. > > Or, you can buy Redline from AA transaxle in Duval, Washington. He > has a web page and also monitors the list. > http://www.aatransaxle.com/ > > Good luck, > Myron Lind > 81 Westy > 82 Diesel Westy getting a mechanical TDI > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Ramón Celaya <telek@TELNOR.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 1:53 PM > Subject: Syncro Transmission > > >> Hola a todos >> >> The clutch replacement removing the transmission, it's a little > bit more >> difficult in the syncro, but not impossible, with out any fluid > leakage >> (antifreeze, power steering, freon ) The tranny is now in the > floor I want >> change the oil switching to syntetic, Valvoline is a good > option? How many >> quarts i need to do the work? what about to Gl4 or Gl5 > clasifications. I >> eared the gL5 is corrosive in the brass components. I can't find > Red Line >> gear oil, in Autozone. Any recommendation are welcome. >> >> Thanks helpfull list. >> >> Sorry for my english. >> >> Ramon Celaya >> Syncro GL 86 >> Weekender 87 1.8 Jetta >> > > ˇMuchas Gracias! Myron

Five gallons is to much stuff! I will run the risk of leakage, I try to find the Red Line, In San Diego Ca. in SD Motorsport - thanks Mr Willian "develorust" and Ed Bolt for your support ( is relative near to my location, 2 freeway hours) in last case I buy the oil in transaxle.

Is to difficult say you how much I appreciate your help, but if you need something, one day, I live in Mexicali Baja California Mexico a border cross of Calexico Ca. don't hesitate to call me. (this is too for everyone of the members of this list)

Ramon Celaya Video Producer Lidia 385 Residencias Phone 01 686 5660483