Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:27:58 EST
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '85, 1.9 timing questions

Oh crap, I've been quoted.

The timing notch for the 1.9L is to the left of the TDC notch. Bentley may have flipped the photo. Of course, if VW had put it to the right fewer people would be bitchin' about their wimpy 1.9's.

You shouldn't be unplugging the temp sensor to adjust the timing. You should unplug the idle stabilizer and plug the connectors together.

I took my '85 in for the state inspection yesterday. Decided to give it a shot with the timing at 5 BTDC and reset it if it failed. The idle at this setting stays between 900 and 950 rpm. Initially the "highly trained inspector" was concerned with the high idle. After some discussion he did the sniff test without trying to reset. Past test results in Ohio and Texas have been surprisingly clean with the stock exhaust and everything set to factory specs. This time ( with the ceramic coated exhaust and advanced timing) the results weren't quite as clean as before but they were well within the guidelines -- good solid lower midrange.

The "highly trained inspector" proceeded to fill out the sticker entering "Voltswagon" for make and "Van." for the model, then placed the sticker on the windshield slightly crooked.

Now these results are in Texas -- land of poor spellers, cowboy boots and giant trucks. Folks in the People's Republic of California and other places where these things are taken more seriously might not be able to get away with goading the "highly trained inspector" into testing with a high idle.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Wesy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'