Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:23:09 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air cooled Westys
Comments: To: strent1783@earthlink.net

Everything sounds wonderful but like you said; the color. Since most old Westies are the color of dirt if they're used a lot you can live with the color. There is no doubt that you should buy it. The $2500.00 is a price you'd only get from a friend. I am very surprised that the survivalist haven't started bidding up the prices of Westies, Its just the vehicle I'd pick to hide out in the woods. As for Water Pissers, I couldn't survive without them. Almost every body, trim, driveline part will work on an aircooled with the exception of the obvious items. Don't look down on Water Pissers they're a great source for pristine interiors, good CV joints, alloy wheels, tail light lenses etc. My Westie has 287K on it and I just love it. I put 148K of that on it and it has been relatively trouble free since I can do my on repairs it gets new parts before they fail (paranoid maintenance syndrome) The only other car that I've ever held as much affection for was my 1968 Corvette with a 365hp 327 engine. I made a mistake when I sold it ......... It just came down to "quit drinking or leave the Corvette parked at home". After a couple of close calls I decided to sell the Corvette on keep drinking. Fortunately the Corvette didn't kill me and the booze didn't either. I survived long enough to retire into poverty as an old hippie restoring Westy and writing Computer software for a living. I have an ongoing interest in challenging misinformation about aircooled that is posted to the list. Buy the Westy and go camping.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:2:34 -0500 "Steve Trent" <strent1783@earthlink.net> writes: Hi Stan-I've been reading the mailing list archives and see that you are very knowledgeable regarding the air cooled Vanagons. I was fortunate enough to have had a 67 Westy in my past-sadly it burned in a house fire in '96-it broke my heart. My best friend has had a series of '79 Westys, but in '84 he bought a Vanagon Westy (82). It's been troublesome through the years-heads and oil leaks mostly-but he's recently had the heads rebuilt, and the oil cooler leak repaired in order to sell the Westy. I can't stand it-I have to buy it! It's a Deluxe, no rust, never wrecked and the interior is perfect, except for the "wallpaper" is peeling in a couple of places. The bus even has a.c., but it is a stick(hooray). It's that hideous asswipe brown(erm, aswan brown!), but even the paint is in good shape. The appliances have never been used! All this for $2500! All it really needs right this minute is new tires, as the ones on it are dry rotted. he also just had the master cylinder replaced. Anyway, it won't be joining my fleet for a couple of months yet, but when it does, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate the benefit of your knowledge. I know some folks look down on the air cooled, but it seems from the mailing list that the wasserboxers are more troublesome-what do you think? I also had a '71 Bay back in my sordid past-so I tend to be an air cooled fan. Thanks for your time! Steve

--- Steve Trent --- strent1783@earthlink.net --- EarthLink: It's your Internet.