Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:04:12 -0800
From:         Ward Smith <wsmith@SAN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch slave cylinder and leaking coolant
Comments: To: Edward Nutter <eanutter@POSTOFFICE.PACBELL.NET>

Hey Eric,

Just a side note. I had trouble with a hydraulic clutch recently (a Fiero.....yuck), and couldn't get it bled right. I ended up dropping the motor to check the clutch which turned out to be a complete waste of time....the clutch just wasn't bled properly.

Long story short...I heard you shouldn't bleed the clutch with the old pump-pump-pump...hold...release bleeder...down...tighten bleeder...pump-pump-pump...etc. method. I was told by an old Mechanic type person that you jack the reservoir end of the car up in the air till it's higher than the slave cylinder (not necessary with your system .....thank god), and fill the reservoir. Than you crack the bleeder and let the fluid run out till it has pushed all bubbles and old fluid through. Makes sence, and worked perfect the last time I bought an '84 Vanagon and had to bleed the clutch.

Just my 2 cents..

Ward

"Life looks pretty twisted through corner windows"

'84 Vanagon '69 Dormy '65 Kombi '63 Sub Hatch '63 Hardtop Deluxe '57 Kombi '57 Panel

...just doing a mental inventory...