Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:47:57 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Images of Toyota Hilux Surf mirrors & adaptors

I've taken a couple of images of a set of electric mirrors off Toyota Hilux Surfs (Japanese-market; sold elsewhere as 4Runner). I THINK these are different to all export-market mirrors... but want to confirm this... US listees? Certainly they are bigger than NZ/Australian-market 4Runners.

The left mirror is from an LN106 Hilux, the right an LN130 (both basically tha same vehicle). The left mirror mount was set at a sharper angle than the right, due to needing to throw the image toward a driver offset to one side (right) of vehicle.

These mirrors will be going onto my 84 Caravelle. I have a wiring loom ready, using an older (early-80s) LandCruiser Prado (again Jap-market) switch, which I will install in the dash or door; but might buy a later-model (better-looking) switch from some other Toyota.

Images include balsa mockups I made of the adaptor mounts, which will screw to the stock VW door mounts. I had the alloy blanks cast from the balsas; these still need milling to match the factory Toyota window-mounted cups, so the mirrors will screw into them; they will also need smoothing and probably filling, then painting satin-black.

No floppy VW mirrors waving their crude ugliness from my doors!

Anyone wanna see these (and tell me whether these mirrors were availale on US Hiluxes)? -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut Friends don't let friends do Windows