Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2002 08:37:46 -0800
From:         Walter Evens <wrevens@MYEXCEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Last question of the night
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I have not had much experience with EFI but this is what I've learned so far.

'85 Dodge Aries; Chilton manual said fuel pressure should be 15 psi. Pulled the line off the regulator and psi from the pump was 15. However, spoke to someone at the parts store and was told EFI fuel pump pressure should be in the 80s. Pulled the pump and tested. It was a cheap plastic pump which had "separated" and was leaking out the side. Put it back together and the pressure jumped to the 80s. Regulated pressure was to be 15 psi.

'87 Isuzu Impulse; Pulled the line coming to the regulator. Pressure in the 80s. Checked the pressure after the regulator while cranking the engine, also in the 80s. Was told by someone in the parts store that the regulator is actuated by vacuum. Therefore, must be tested while engine is running. No vacuum, no regulated pressure. Apparently EFI uses full pressure to start and then regulates after wards.

'85 Vanagon. Fuel comes from pump to tee; from tee to fuel rails; from fuel rails to regulator; apparently regulated by some sort of "back pressure" method as the regulator is AFTER the fuel injectors and not BEFORE. Excess fuel returns to the tank from the regulator.

All my tests were conducted with the engine not running. Just turning on the ignition switch, pump pressure, 80 psi. Regulator to fuel tank pressure, 70 psi. Cranking pressure: fuel pump, 90 psi. Regulator to fuel tank, 80 to 90 psi. As the Vanagon regulator has a vacuum fitting, I would hazard a guess that like the Isuzu, it utilized vacuum to regulate or in other words, no vacuum, no regulation. However, with the Vanagon regulator using "back pressure", am not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples.

I will need to do a fuel volume test and pull the injectors and check the spray pattern.

One last note. The pump used to make a louder noise when I turned on the key than before the vehicle died.

Walter Evens Hesperia, CA, USA 2-85GLs

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 9:49 PM Subject: Re: Last question of the night