Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:51:21 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Newbie  '81 Hyd. Lifter questions... (Aircooled)
Comments: To: okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM

You are going to have to get over your fear of the VW engine. Easy way to find TDC or close enough. Assume that it is close because it is running and starts properly. #1. Remove the distributor cap. #2. Turn the engine until the rotor arm is 1/8" before pointing right at the notch in the distributor rim. #3. That is verrrrry close to TDC on number 1 cylinder. #4. Set the valves on #1. #5. Rotate the engine until the rotor arm has moved 90 degrees from the #1 location, set that valve then go on to the others. #6. Since the VW engine will run OK between 1/2 turn and 2 full turns on the lifters you're going to be darn close by doing it this way. #7. It may be hard starting after you adjust the valves and make noise for 15 minutes. It will quieten down. (safety factor-------- if you get them too tight the engine will not start.) #8. If you can't muster up enough courage to do this simple task ............. take it to a VW mechanic and have him do it. Cost involved 30 minutes labor, 1 pair valve cover gaskets. About a $40.00 job but it will be surprising to me if he doesn't stick you for $120.00. ------------------ Everything else you mention sounds OK. As for how a good engine sounds ........... there are no sounds to record except the suction of the intake and the whistle of the engine fan blowing air. My exhaust system makes more noise than the engine.

Stan Wider 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:39:09 -0600 Jon Joyce <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > For those of you familiar with the threads I've posted so far re. > lifter > noise in my '81, I'm still in a quandry. Basically, I set out this > morning > to set the valves at .006 per Boston Bob's recommendation, and check > things > again in a week or so. I also wanted to visually inspect the heads, > as this > is the first time I've had the rocker covers off. To make a long > story > short, I ended up chickening out and putting it all back together. > I > couldn't get comfortable with finding TDC (due to general > inexperience), and > didn't want to risk setting the valves improperly as a result. > However, I > noticed a couple of things that make me a little nervous about the > motor's > current condition, especially according to info I've gleaned from > the list > so far. > To recap, the motor at this point has approx. 2600 miles on it. The > heads > are both AMF (probably GEX), and are both very clean, with the > possible > exception of #3. I was told to look for burned-on oil spots > signfying a hot > cylinder. There's no burned spot, per se, but the area beneath the > valves is > "tanned" slightly. Also, the #3 plug had marked carbon accumulation > in > comparision to the other plugs. What should I be looking for as the > cause? I > suspect the valves were pre-loaded and that I've got air in one or > more of > the lifters, and the majority of the "tapping" seems to be coming > from the > vicinity of #3. Are these things related? On a side note, when I got > the car > back together and fired it up, it sounded great... could it be > psychosomatic? > No, I haven't comp. or leak-down tested the motor yet (I don't have > a > gauge), but it has no trouble hot-starting or cold-starting for that > matter. > I guess I'd feel a lot more confident if I knew what these motors > were > supposed to sound like in the first place! Thanks for your help and > your > patience- > > JJ > > > > _______________ > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: > http://messenger.msn.com > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.